Notices

Boat trailer question

Old 12-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat trailer question

I recently bought a 1989 Formula F-272 SR1 with twin BBC's. From doing research, I am assuming the boat weighs 7,000lbs. dry. The trailer that came with it is a Fastload but all the information is has faded away. It is a tandem axle 5 bolt pattern. My question is: Is it illegal for a boat dealer to sell you a trailer with a boat that doesn't meet the weight of the boat when all fluids are considered, such as 15 quarts of oil, 120 gallons of gas, etc,..I am guessing yes and yes I have tried to call Fastload trailers but all I get is a voicemail for a cell phone? I have called many times and left message. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am concerned because the axles are flexing quite a bit. I am seeing that most 5 bolt patterns are 3500lb. axles, but thanks again.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

first thing i would do is take your boat and trailer and have it weighed. Im not an expert on older formulas but i would think that your boat would come in at 6000 or a little less dry and im just going off what other boats in that era weighed. but even at 6000lbs, add 800lbs for fuel(no reason to tow full of fuel ever) and another 30lbs for oil..plus anchor ect...your pry right at the 7000.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Drock78
first thing i would do is take your boat and trailer and have it weighed. Im not an expert on older formulas but i would think that your boat would come in at 6000 or a little less dry and im just going off what other boats in that era weighed. but even at 6000lbs, add 800lbs for fuel(no reason to tow full of fuel ever) and another 30lbs for oil..plus anchor ect...your pry right at the 7000.
Yes, I need to get it down there and see but I was just trying to think of the legal issues if I was to get in an accident. I have a 1999 F150 with the 5.4 and the dealer assured me my truck was more than sufficient to pull the combo. Turns out my truck is rated to 6500lbs. Granted, that is my fault for not checking but the deal I got on the boat was compared to a kid in a candy store feeling. So, I jumped and a transmission and rearend later I smacked the pavement. Fool me once right,...but live and learn. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Yes 5 lug axles are all pretty much 3500lbs. That boat is very stern heavy so I would recommend a 3 axle trailer rated for 10,000 lbs. the boat weighs almost 7 full of gear plus the trailer weight and you'll have plenty of safety factor left. I'm a fan of more trailer than you need.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The twin Small Block version of that boat is 5750# dry. I would figure adding 500# to that for Big Blocks and Bravos. That puts you at about 6250# dry. Add 750# to that to fuel it and gear it and you have 7000# sitting on the trailer. Look at the net weight rating of your trailer...but unfortunately with 3500# axles you are over loaded.

My 255 weighs in very close to a 272. I have twin 6 lug axles rated at 5000# with a gross trailer rating of 10,200# I weighed mine just as I pull it and I am at 7800# gross so I have a 25% margin. Do not scrimp on the trailer...every time you tow you will be "sucking up the seat covers" and one day you will be lucky if all you loose is your boat.

The 10000# rating is easily achieved with 2: 5000# or 3: 3500# axles. I won'y go into the debate over which is better....been enough written justifying both sides of that debate.

I think you need a better trailer....oh and don't forget brakes!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a different trailer and truck.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the answers. I appreciate it.
So my only two other questions: 1) Was I illegally sold a trailer with my boat and 2) is it possible for me to just swap the axles for twin 8 lugs? Thanks fellas!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaF272SR1
Thanks for all the answers. I appreciate it.
So my only two other questions: 1) Was I illegally sold a trailer with my boat and 2) is it possible for me to just swap the axles for twin 8 lugs? Thanks fellas!
Honestly...I think you're pouring good money after bad. Sell your trailer and buy a heavier trailer that was built for what you need from the ground up. Used trailers are bought and sold every day. There is a buyer for yours and someone selling what you need...you just have to get together with the right people.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Registered

as far as "upgrading" your trailer:

I was in the same situation. "Dry," my boat and trailer were "within specs." But add fuel, gear, etc, and it's overloaded.

I looked into swapping axles. To do it right, you are looking at axles, shackles, springs, hubs, wheels, brakes... it adds up fast.

When my parts list exceeded half the cost of a new trailer, I made the jump.

It can be done, but I didn't want to invest that much time and labor.

I'll just add: Loadmaster out of Sandusky, Ohio, did me right!

Price, product, and customer service are outstanding.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Too many good deals on used trailers out there to waste your money modifying that one, or your time being upset at the dealer that sold it to you. Just sell old and buy a nice used trailer that fits.

My trailer, was sold to the guy I bought the boat from with NO title from a VERY reputable dealership. Ultimately I had to track down the original owner of the boat, and get him to get a duplicate title from the state he had originally registered it in. Luckily the guy was really nice and spent his time and money tracking down duplicate title, signing it over, and sending it to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.