Notices

Trailer axles hitting trailer

Old 11-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer axles hitting trailer

During inspecting my drum brakes (to justify upgrading to disc) I noticed that the rear brake line going across the third axle was pinched between the axle and the frame. First I thought that's probably why the last trip of season felt like I had no brakes. Then I realized my issues are far worse than just a pinched line, MY DAMN AXLE IS HITTING THE FRAME!. How i missed this before i don't know but now i have to fix it. only thing i can think of is to do a leaf-over-axle conversion. I will have much more space between the tires and fender but that'll have to do. Does anyone have any other thoughts on how to fix this. See the pics below.

this is how everything currently sits. Yes, the trailer has a bend in it, i also inherited this issue from the PO. That is also being remedied this winter by welding some 5x2 1/4 thick rectangle steel along the inside of the frame.

Damnit, my membership ran out. I'll upload the pics tomorrow.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:50 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Without seeing the pics yet......most people do not realize how fast a trailers suspension wears out. All the holes start ovaling out and the bolts wearing down, pretty soon you lose an inch or two of Clarence.....
Old 11-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Registered

Here are the pics i took yesterday. I'm going to boat now to remove all wheel's and inspect everything. Center axle on left side was the worst so far, grease had dried up and bearing was toast. i have a 2-3 mile downhill decent into Lake Mead and even after preparing boat for launch and bathroom break for all aboard once the trailer hits water the brakes still generate steam. I trailer 28mi each way every weekend during season so I'm upgrading brakes to EOH disc.

The under trailer pics are from the rear forward. I'll take some better pics today. My concerns with spring over axle is the increase of 5.5 inches in ride height of the trailer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]532346[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]532347[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]532348[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Trailer axles hitting trailer-imag0774.jpg   Trailer axles hitting trailer-imag0926.jpg   Trailer axles hitting trailer-imag0927.jpg  

Last edited by ramos45; 11-09-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:16 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by ramos45
Here are the pics i took yesterday. I'm going to boat now to remove all wheel's and inspect everything. Center axle on left side was the worst so far, grease had dried up and bearing was toast. i have a 2-3 mile downhill decent into Lake Mead and even after preparing boat for launch and bathroom break for all aboard once the trailer hits water the brakes still generate steam. I trailer 28mi each way every weekend during season so I'm upgrading brakes to EOH disc.

The under trailer pics are from the rear forward. I'll take some better pics today. My concerns with spring over axle is the increase of 5.5 inches in ride height of the trailer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]532346[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]532347[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]532348[/ATTACH]
I have to say, I can't believe that trailer hasn't bent into a horseshoe yet. It looks so overtaxed. I believe on another threat you said it is definitely bent, not just deflected in the pictures when loaded.

Took a while for me to find it, but look at this thread:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/t...-question.html

See if the tall spring equalizers may buy you the room you need.
You can move the new brake line to behind the axle to keep it out of harms way.
You definitely need a hitch drawbar with more rise to get the tongue of the trailer higher and take the stress off of that front axle.

But I would not put any more serious money into that trailer. IMHO, anything further is a bandaid carrying you a little closer to disaster. I'm sorry to be so negative and frank, but given your previous posts and now this one...
...that's the only solid conclusion.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

But I would not put any more serious money into that trailer. IMHO, anything further is a bandaid carrying you a little closer to disaster. .
Quoted for truth....do yourself and loved ones a favor and shop around for a new trailer.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Registered

Sydwayz - no need to apologize for speaking the truth, that's why i posted this. I did say it was bent for the lack of another term but now that you used deflected that's exactly what it is, deflected not bent. Unloaded the trailer is as straight as an arrow no sagging what so ever which is why I'm going to work with it. I did price out a new trailer from Kokopelli but if this one can be strengthened then I'd rather wait for new trailer.

The story I got from the shop that did work on this boat for the PO is they went to pick it up from the storage yard and noticed that their truck was towing really sluggish. They also noticed the bend in the trailer. The pulled off the road and also noticed the drain plug was in. The dips hit owner stored the boat outside with drain plug in. When they removed the plug they said the water shot straight back like a pressure hose. all the weight of the water caused the trailer to deflect.

The steel is going to cost $300 and a mobile welder out here is charging the same to cut and weld it all up. When i jack up from the center of the center cross member you can really see how the trailer is supposed to sit. We plan on doing that then welding roughly 6ft pieces along the inside of frame in-between cross members from the front of the wheel wells all the way to the front.

No new pics from today. not really worth the effort. All wheels are removed and without any load on that rear axle there is only around 5in of clearance. Looks like I will be flipping the axles over the springs along with upgrading to disc brakes.

Last edited by ramos45; 11-09-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by waycool marine
springs are probably shot , springs are cheap, I would put new springs on instead of mounting axles under. and I would get a bigger truck
I'm looking into springs now before pulling the trigger. This trailer was made in 2010 and the springs look to be ok but still checking what the height loaded should be. Bigger truck...You mean lifted? Perfect excuse to lift.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by waycool marine
springs are probably shot , springs are cheap, I would put new springs on instead of mounting axles under. and I would get a bigger truck
I'm looking into springs now before pulling the trigger. This trailer was made in 2010 and the springs look to be ok but still checking what the height loaded should be. Bigger truck...You mean lifted? Perfect excuse to lift.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-09-2014, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Replace ALL suspension components, heavier rated springs, bearings, brakes, EOH, weld trailer frame braces, new trailer hitch drawbar to proper height, etc.

I agree with the others a new trailer might be the better option.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.