Notices

Trailer axles hitting trailer

Old 11-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

What about going to drop axles like I have, instead of the straight tube?

I will tell ya, I've pulled my Buddy's Scarab III around, which also happens to be on a trailer that is underbuilt for the boat, and it's no lightweight. My 38 Fountain on my myco trailer, weighs 13k lbs with no fuel in the boat. His Scarab III feels every bit as heavy back there as my Fountain, maybe heavier .I think those NADA weight numbers are way low. I"ll bet you go weigh that boat/trailer combo, and you got at least 12500 there, prob closer to 13500. The boat itself gotta be at least 10k lbs.

My buddy's trailer under his Scarab, was made for that boat. I dont even remember the brand name. But, it has triple 3500LB axles. The axles look terrible from the bow with all the weight on them. Total piece of crap. He mainly uses it for storage only. I think somewhere, back in the day, someone was lying about how much those Scarabs really weighed.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer axles hitting trailer-img00283-20100726-1922.jpg  
Old 11-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 597 Likes on 242 Posts

I had a trailer that came with my 31 foot 12000 lb Parasail boat from the Havasu area that resembled this piece of work.

The rating plate said it was good to go but pulling it was like trailing your boat on a wet noodle
Old 11-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tommymonza - the weird thing is that it's not the front axle that's hitting, it's the rear most axle, see the pic on 1st page. the other two axles have more space than the third but not by much. I actually had to lift it to get that pinched brake line out of there. Trailer sits with left side just a few inches higher than right side due to concreate pad. I do plan on welding 5x2x.25 tube along the inside of the existing frame to straighten it out. you can physically see the bend starting just in front of the first axle then magnifies just after the first crossmember where the trailer tapers in.

MT - new axles are a thought but I've concluded that I'm going to order all my brake parts now and install and put wheels back on, then get the welder over to fix the sag. Once that's all done i'll reassess my options. I don't want to do too much fab and then end up with more garbage. I know it'll be more work having to lift the trailer again but I think that's my best approach right now.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ramos45
The pulled off the road and also noticed the drain plug was in. The dips hit owner stored the boat outside with drain plug in. When they removed the plug they said the water shot straight back like a pressure hose. all the weight of the water caused the trailer to deflect.

Based off this statement I'm guessing boat is water logged and weighs way more then you think. Think you might have bigger issues then a trailer. How long was water sitting in boat? Have you ever put a moister meter on it?
Old 11-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 597 Likes on 242 Posts

Skip the 5x2 tube running on the inside that is doing very little compared to putting some 2x2 running along the top with some spacers. Look for a thread where the guy just made a goose neck for his Cigarette out of his bumper pull and beefed it up this way.

Rear axle hitting when jacked up in the driveway ? What about when loaded on the truck?
Old 11-10-2014, 05:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by vbot24
Based off this statement I'm guessing boat is water logged and weighs way more then you think. Think you might have bigger issues then a trailer. How long was water sitting in boat? Have you ever put a moister meter on it?
I did have it surveyed before buying and it checked out fine on the moisture meter. Once I get tires wheels back on I will take it to scales to check overall weight.

Off topic but what disc brakes would you all get if switching to discs: integral hub or separate hub and rotor?
Old 11-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Skip the 5x2 tube running on the inside that is doing very little compared to putting some 2x2 running along the top with some spacers. Look for a thread where the guy just made a goose neck for his Cigarette out of his bumper pull and beefed it up this way.

Rear axle hitting when jacked up in the driveway ? What about when loaded on the truck?
I'll look into running tube along the top and run it by my welder. Now i'm not sure about it on truck. I will check all that after wheels are on to get a better picture of what's going on. ordering brakes now so I'll have a week or so until wheels go back on
Old 11-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Registered

That is even more scary that it was surveyed and no mention by surveyor that bilge was full of water!!!!!
Bilge wasn't full off water at time of purchase. I didn't learn that tidbit until I had shop do some paint work. Same shop that redid interior for po..
Old 11-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Registered

That is even more scary that it was surveyed and no mention by surveyor that bilge was full of water!!!!!
Bilge wasn't full off water at time of purchase. I didn't learn that tidbit until I had shop do some paint work. Same shop that redid interior for po..
Old 11-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ramos45
I did have it surveyed before buying and it checked out fine on the moisture meter. Once I get tires wheels back on I will take it to scales to check overall weight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.