Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Evo Trailers or Evolution Trailers... any experience? >

Evo Trailers or Evolution Trailers... any experience?

Notices

Evo Trailers or Evolution Trailers... any experience?

Old 09-22-2015, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been searching for a better ride quality / towing performance from my Evo trailer. I have spent a good amount of time experimenting w/ the ball height & tongue weight .In the end it appears that the Goodyear Marathon tires although rated for the capacity of my boat / trailer combo are the weak link. I experienced lots of sidewall crush & flex w/ the Marathons but since upgrading to Goodyear GS614 RST's I don't think I'll own another trailer without them. They aren't LT tires but purpose built trailer tires. Ride quality is superior as is the quality & construction of the tire. 14ply trailer tire that closely resembles you'd find on an 18 wheeler trailer. Zero sidewall crush & the tires don't look like they are about to dismount when I make a u-turn in my storage facility lot. 110 psi!!

Unless you damage the sidewall of one of these tires I don't believe you'll live or own the boat long enough to see them replaced from wear.

Many thanks to Rod & Paul at Evolution Trailers for helping me work thru the swap out & providing me tires at their cost so as to make the upgrade as painless as possible. They even provided me w/ an avenue to sell off my 2000 mile Marathon take offs.

1st Class Operation.

http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/ti...rodline=160007
Old 09-22-2015, 07:10 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

^^ Great info, but are they really $300-400 per tire?!?!?!?

They better outlast ME for that price!!
Old 09-22-2015, 08:22 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I went with cooper srm 2 trailer tires, much harder sidewall and I balanced them. Ive had them for 4 years and great except for flat spots where the comp on my brake rite took a crap and did a 6 wheel lock up. I'm going to replace them in the spring and wont balance with weights but will use equal of beads to let them self balance. Ive loved them and will never use a non trailer tire again. LT's are for trucks, not weight and tight cornering.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:02 AM
Registered

My best price locally was like $340/ tire but Evo got them for me for around $290.

Ultimately the GS 614's are approx twice as much as Marathon's ($135-$160). Take it from me when I tell you that it will only take 1 tire related trailering incident to get you to realize cheaper isn't better for numerous reasons.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:19 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
. Take it from me when I tell you that it will only take 1 tire related trailering incident to get you to realize cheaper isn't better for numerous reasons.
Preaching to the choir my friend. I'm already on board.
But that PRICE though. I think they are more expensive than my Corvette tires.

I am running LT Goodyear E-rated (10-ply) tires on my trailer with no complaints yet.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:24 PM
Registered

I think it's also package dependent, tandem or tri-axle, boat size & weight, overall combined weight, how often you tow & how far as well as ones budget. If one has found a combination that works for them why change. I called Myco & Skater both to see what they equip their trailers with. One was a BFG, the other Firestone but neither were intended for trailering. I was surprised since there's liability involved.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I think it's also package dependent, tandem or tri-axle, boat size & weight, overall combined weight, how often you tow & how far as well as ones budget. If one has found a combination that works for them why change. I called Myco & Skater both to see what they equip their trailers with. One was a BFG, the other Firestone but neither were intended for trailering. I was surprised since there's liability involved.
funny part about that is if you look up the Dexter torsion axles, they don't recommend triple set ups because of the forces in tight cornering, yet all companies do it.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:15 PM
Registered

I've yet to find anyone willing to patch or put a tube in my 2000mi Marathon but I've not lost hope. Figured it would make a good 2nd spare.
Attached Thumbnails Evo Trailers or Evolution Trailers... any experience?-evo-wheel.jpg  
Old 09-24-2015, 12:57 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I've yet to find anyone willing to patch or put a tube in my 2000mi Marathon but I've not lost hope. Figured it would make a good 2nd spare.
Yikes.

Have you tried Gorilla Glue ? LOL.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:01 PM
Registered

I don' think they offer it in a 1 gal size that would be required!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.