Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Evo Trailers or Evolution Trailers... any experience? >

Evo Trailers or Evolution Trailers... any experience?

Notices

Evo Trailers or Evolution Trailers... any experience?

Old 06-16-2015, 04:20 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Evo Trailers or Evolution Trailers... any experience?

Never heard of them, but their trailer under this new NorTech CC looks great.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evolu...47471161975299

Website is a little outdated.
http://evolutiontrailer.com/

It looks a lot like the welded alumium C-channel offerings from Myco and Manning.

For a while, I was impressed by McClain Trailers out of Texas when they started building a C-channel aluminum trailer...
...BUT over time I have seen those products fail (lots of cracked welds). compared to Myco and Manning.

I'm curious how they hold up over time.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:16 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

I believe NASCAT put an EVO under his new 34' Nortech. Looks really nice and he is a stickler for details so I'm sure he researched them thoroughly.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I own one, impressive workmanship, quality, customer service and professionalism. I posted many detail pictures of my trailer in my Cat to Console thread. Towards the end, maybe last 6-8 pages.

Feel free to PM me your # if you'd like to chat in more detail about Evo trailers.

Michael
Old 06-16-2015, 11:46 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by NASCAT
I own one, impressive workmanship, quality, customer service and professionalism. I posted many detail pictures of my trailer in my Cat to Console thread. Towards the end, maybe last 6-8 pages.

Feel free to PM me your # if you'd like to chat in more detail about Evo trailers.

Michael
Thank you!

Wow!
Just...
WOW!!

That trailer is spectacular.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...future-13.html

The ONLY thing I would do different...
...is have the EoH and electronics connections boxes mounted higher, WAY higher; at least 12" above the trailer rails. I don't care how long the trailer is, at some point, they are bound to get wet at some shltty ramp.

I see several things better than the others mentioned on this thread.

Couple questions:

(1)
Why the hybrid bunk approach; and why in that order?
I'd think for power loading, (if one is into that kind of thing) the poly bunks would be better for the boat sliding up; and for when the boat settles onto the trailer, the carpeted bunks at the back would be better for friction to hold keep the boat planted. I caveat upfront with "I'd think" as I don't build trailers for a living. (I wouldn't mind that gig though.)

(2)
I see two different configurations or materials for the V-bunk at the bow. At one point, it's the typical poly/rubber truck loading dock stops (grey) that we see on the higher end trailers; and in another picture, I see something yellow. Which one is the final, and why?

(3)
What is the winch material? Is that some type of military spec cord? Any idea where other commoners can source it?
Old 06-17-2015, 05:59 AM
Registered

1) I wanted ALL UHMW bunks but there are 2 issues, a) VERY, VERY slippery so concerned about boat movement on the trailer launching, retrieving & in panic stop situations. The combination of both provides a little more resistance but in reality b) the other reason being that the forward keel bunks need to fit the contour of the hull properly which means they needed to twist. Since the UHMW is affixed to aluminum there is no real good way to bend & twist the aluminum structure to the contour of the hull to get the correct fit.

2) the Evo trailer comes w/ the gray rubber stops what you see are soft microfiber mop heads I Tywrapped to the bow stops to prevent the rubber from making a mark on the hull. At my local Lowe's that was the only color / style available. Totally my doing in an effort to avoid getting the typical bow stop mark on my hull.

3) I had never seen a winch w/ a rope before certainly not on a trailer for a boat this size & weight (normally a strap or cable) Carston of Evolution trailers told me it was rated for 6,000 lbs I believe. I have no clue where to source it but I'm sure if you google search it you can find it or just contact him at Evo Trailers. [email protected] Yes I'm sure he'd love to sell you a trailer but I also believe he wouldn't mind answering any other questions you might have as well as share his winch rope source. If you read my thread you already know that Evo got its start building trailers for our military & to this day are still fulfilling military contracts.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:20 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Thank you for the details!

Here's a tip I use for keeping the marks from the V-bunk to a minimum:

Just before you load the boat, spray the V-bunks down with Spray Wax.
This has been my favorite for a few years; although I've heard the products are under a new label now:
http://www.liquidperformance.com/mar...leaner-polish/

I prefer the aerosol type, but for any fern-licking/tree-hugging types on the board, the spray bottle works fine too.
(I use Meguier's Quik Wax Spray on other applications.)

After you load the boat, the only thing that gets on the hull is wax. You just remove it with a small polishing towel.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:47 AM
Registered

Great tip, at the bare minimum I submerge all bunks prior to loading to at least get them wet.
Does the wax smoke when sprayed on 100* black carpet??
Old 06-17-2015, 07:54 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Great tip, at the bare minimum I submerge all bunks prior to loading to at least get them wet.
Does the wax smoke when sprayed on 100* black carpet??
I only spray the wax on the V-bunk at the winch. I submerge all the bunks as you do; then pull back up a bit for where I typically like the trailer placed.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:57 AM
Registered

Gotcha, I misunderstood, you meant the bow stop!
Old 06-17-2015, 08:09 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Yep, bow stop! I was looking for that last night, and think I killed off that brain cell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.