Notices

Towing w/ Gas?

Old 02-05-2021, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkX66
My argument has been and is that there is nothing actually unsafe about my set-up.

DunningKruger all day every day!
Old 02-05-2021, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 425 Likes on 257 Posts

Guarantee you this guy is a Democrat. Truth, reason and common sense is above them. But what do I know, I pull a 28 footer with a Duramax.

Last edited by snapmorgan; 02-05-2021 at 01:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by snapmorgan:
cheech (02-05-2021), ICDEDPPL (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 10:53 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,238 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkX66
My argument has been and is that there is nothing actually unsafe about my set-up.
Please tell us how that truck is going to safely bring that towed load to a stop when this happens. I was towing 13K lbs. with an F350 CC DRW 4x4 truck, AND upgraded brakes; when this happened.
This happened on the interstate when at dusk, I noticed my trailer lights were not working.

That's the SECOND time I've lost braking while towing. The first time I ruptured a hard brake line, and found out when I was entering a cloverleaf to get onto the interstate, could not slow down, and had to dart off into the cloverleaf.

I can tell you, it was sketchy as FOCK both times. And I had enough truck to cover my ass. You don't. Not even close.

Just like riding a motorcycle: you prepare for the crash; not the ride.
ATGATT (Google it if you haven't heard of it.)

Old 02-05-2021, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 581 Likes on 295 Posts

You M’Fker’s are killing me. I havnt laughed this hard in a long time. Dunning Kruger omg I’m dying!!!🤣
Old 02-07-2021, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What’s the difference between the DRW and SRW on a 3500 besides the extra tires? At this point after hooking the boat we are buying up to the sellers truck, there looks to be lots of tongue weight. I’d rather stick to a SRW set up.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by s022mag
What’s the difference between the DRW and SRW on a 3500 besides the extra tires? At this point after hooking the boat we are buying up to the sellers truck, there looks to be lots of tongue weight. I’d rather stick to a SRW set up.
I Do not know the weight carrying differences although I've always THOUGHT a DRW would be able to handle more. With that being said, this is my 4th dually. After a bad experience hauling a 32 ft enclosed tag trailer years ago & getting blown all over the road by high winds, I bought my first dually & have never looked back. My experience is that they are more stable when rolling down the highway in adverse conditions. Just my 2 cents.
The following users liked this post:
ICDEDPPL (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

[QUOTE=HawkX66;4776385]
Originally Posted by ttuton
I've never claimed I wasn't overweight. It was the amount that I disagreed with. You have one guy trying to tell me that my boat alone weighs 15k lbs. I proved via other owners weighing the same boat and trailer set ups that my boat with 1/4 tank of fuel is at 10k or slightly less. His had a 400 lb genset and mine does not. You're assuming also that his wasn't set up to go boating by saying I haven't factored in fuel, water, beer etc. I said my tow rating is 9,200 which some apparently are still arguing with me about. They're quite comical actually. I defined what GVWR is after someone incorrectly mentioned what it is and how it's calculated. My argument has been and is that there is nothing actually unsafe about my set-up. If you go back to the beginning I haven't argued the legalities of it. I'm also not saying this is a set-up everyone should be running.
I'm not stirring the pot here, my concerns with the set up you have is that towing in any kind of a crosswind at highway speeds will make that thing a handful to keep straight. Also, the brakes are very very underrated for what you are doing no matter what the mfr says. I've towed tens of thousands of miles in my years, you tend to learn what is safe & comfortable & what is not. Anybody can hook a trailer to something & get going down the road. Having it handle correctly, having the ability to perform an evasive maneuver & to bring it to a stop is completely different. I wish you luck but common sense says your set up is an accident looking for a place to happen.
The following 2 users liked this post by smashm:
Eddienel (02-07-2021), ttuton (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 581 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by smashm
I Do not know the weight carrying differences although I've always THOUGHT a DRW would be able to handle more. With that being said, this is my 4th dually. After a bad experience hauling a 32 ft enclosed tag trailer years ago & getting blown all over the road by high winds, I bought my first dually & have never looked back. My experience is that they are more stable when rolling down the highway in adverse conditions. Just my 2 cents.
That is absolutely correct. With the duel rear wheels you have a wider footprint or hold. I have a single wheel and its plenty for my needs and it's also my daily driver. There is no doubt you are going to be more stable pulling heavy with a dually.
Old 02-07-2021, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 4,518 Likes on 1,296 Posts

When I first got my boat before I changed up the trailer for more tongue weight , I towed it with a SRW and it swayed so bad I almost lost the boat .The trailer was in 2 lanes at once .
Same day I borrowed a dually and it towed 100x better .
They are way more stable .
The following 3 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
Eddienel (02-07-2021), IGetWet (02-07-2021), smashm (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 11:19 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,238 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by s022mag
2X the amount of rear sidewall stability.
2X the amount of contact patch.

Towing with a dually is definitely more stable. But you can make improvements to a SRW truck to make them tow drastically better. Ditching factory pizza-cutter wheels and tires and going to a wider footprint wheel/tire setup is key; as well as a wider track width which happens when you change

Usually a DRW truck comes with a steeper gear ratio; a 4.10 is most common; whereas a SRW will often have a 3.73 or 3.42. Some of those can be adjusted with options when ordering, or can be swapped out later.

I was a BIG DRW proponent. But now I tow with a SRW CC LB 1-ton; and I love my truck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.