37 X_Dimension >

37 X_Dimension

Notices

37 X_Dimension

Old 04-17-2007, 08:36 PM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thing I notice that keeps popping up in these discussions about every 5th post or so is the word... SPACER....Why not lower the drives a little from here on out.
It seems everyone mentions after spacers they get on plane easier..top speed increases. And if I was to go for an increase in mid-range speed for fuel mileage for increased cruise range I could go up a size in pitch with a cruise set of props.
Why can't every 37' 525 boat run the same out of the box?
O.K before you give all these differences like liners or generators...I mean build 3 identical boats ..they should run the same.. and if they need 32 LABBED BRAVOS then build them/deliver them that way.
Test them with full loads of gas on every run with the same amont of people or gear.
The 32's Roy and I had ran within 1 mph light or full!!
Nobody I ever have known has gone to a builder and said 'build me a slow boat".
Build it standardized and fast. Then if you want to increase range and loose(which is natural) alittle top end then change the props. Boeing announced the 777 to be built in acertain length of time and perform a certain way and from the day they announced it the completetion was 4 days late..4DAYS..and performed as stated. Ship builders do the same thing. Why do these toys have to be so difficult.

Last edited by chuckbeecher; 04-17-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

QUOTE CHUCK: It seems everyone mentions after spacers they get on plane easier..top speed increases.

I did get on plane easier, but my speed also decreased to 96. something. My midrange was much stronger and getting on plane was much easier.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by spilman
Pat, Was this the first 28 built in 1999? I've heard there are "old" hulls & "newer" ones. What's the history of the original 28's & "newer" designs?
We love this boat more each season!

The 28's now are made from the old 32 mold. I think it has been that way for 2-3 years, maybe longer.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Chuck,

They do run the same way out of the box. 32 stocks, 83-84.
32 labs, 87-88. With the rightest of props and fine tuning, 90.

We give everybody the option of upgrading the props. Clark, for example, wanted to play with his own props. Jay and I probably 4 or 5 hours testing the props he sent us on our nickle. How much more should we do?

The 32 stock Bravos are the most cost effective, user friendly props for the boat. But at the end of the day it came right back to the 32 labs that we recommended, didn't it? Ya just gotta spend the coin.

You could probably spin 33 labs and gain a little more. Or you could call in props from everybody that builds them and spend endless hours testing. But for what? a mile or two gain? And a gain that might not even really be from props but weight, weather or water conditions?

As far as the X-dimension. You can't go up once you cut the hole very easily. But you can add a spacer if you wanted to come down. However the 5-blade props, Merc, Herring or whoever want the extra height, don't they? In fact with the 5-bladers you could actually go a little higher.

What we delivered is what we promised. We have a base starting point and add to it as things are changed. I thought we did a decent job on Stealin' Thunder. Correct me if I am somehow wrong.

Pat.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:04 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I'll own an AT someday.....leave the X-dimension where it is.....Spacers cost a few hundred bucks.....shorties cost a few thousand!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Clark, I will say that I thought your boat with 7 people and 3/4 fuel got up on plane very nicely, need less to say I was impressed. The boat road great, better than the 03 models if you know what I mean, and you could feel the punch or throttle response when you came off a wave. Now it helps to be with someone who knows how to drive a boat to it's potential. I feel your set up is an all around package with better midrange, stronger punch, easier on components, and is probably what you should be looking at. Top end, is just that, it's a number, that you will exaust numerous fraustrating hours to achieve your goal. Can it be done, YES, but, thats your choice. I believe the optimum set up from what Ive read is 86-87mph. Good Luck. Jeff
Old 04-18-2007, 08:43 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Chuck,

They do run the same way out of the box. 32 stocks, 83-84.
32 labs, 87-88. With the rightest of props and fine tuning, 90.

We give everybody the option of upgrading the props. Clark, for example, wanted to play with his own props. Jay and I probably 4 or 5 hours testing the props he sent us on our nickle. How much more should we do?

The 32 stock Bravos are the most cost effective, user friendly props for the boat. But at the end of the day it came right back to the 32 labs that we recommended, didn't it? Ya just gotta spend the coin.

You could probably spin 33 labs and gain a little more. Or you could call in props from everybody that builds them and spend endless hours testing. But for what? a mile or two gain? And a gain that might not even really be from props but weight, weather or water conditions?

As far as the X-dimension. You can't go up once you cut the hole very easily. But you can add a spacer if you wanted to come down. However the 5-blade props, Merc, Herring or whoever want the extra height, don't they? In fact with the 5-bladers you could actually go a little higher.

What we delivered is what we promised. We have a base starting point and add to it as things are changed. I thought we did a decent job on Stealin' Thunder. Correct me if I am somehow wrong.

Pat.
Well said.Mine did actually what you just said.You can prop test for years on stock power and you would only pick up a few mph.A friend of mine said just the other day"IF YOU WANT A FAST BOAT BUY A FAST BOAT" don't try to make a fast boat.Don't beat yourself up Clark over props,x dim. and loosing your shoes in the mud.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:02 AM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

Pat..I am happy with the little bit I have been around Stealin'.
Clark was not the original owner..but my question has been why don't (if I'm wrong I apologize) they are come with 32 Labs? OverActive didn't have them from the start did they?
I just have always thought the boat came out of the hole slow compared to early 37 and the other boat Roy had. I know..you are going to say this is a heavier boat..but based on the weights I heard that OverActive took and deduct the generator and liner and Stealin's not that much heavier. Are you building the high X so that if someone wants 5 blades the heigth is there. Because I felt (especially after your above statement) that lower for 4 blades.
The easier out of the hole the less chances of blowing a drive. And trust me with all the R&D that I help Roy with.. too much heigth (box adjustment on 2nd boat) or too much pitch on either boat and they became PIGs and tabs on a rare occasion wouldn't always help. But those boats tabs usually helped as compared to this one.
AND is that 83-84 with stock 32s at 53-5400rpms..because this one hasn't done it. I think Clark had 4800 the other day.
And after thinking about it maybe a lower X and a 33 Lab could be a great set up.
And in reality generator and liners should not make much differences because its just like having a fat girl or mine or your fat azz's in it for the ride.
OOOPs..it would take a 3rd engine to correct for you and I.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-18-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These don't look like 32 Bravos for todays test run
Attached Thumbnails 37 X_Dimension-5-blades-macklin.jpg  
Old 04-18-2007, 09:16 AM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

Rich is RIGHT!
You waste alot of good boating time doing all this testing for a few if any mph increases..for what ?..so you can inch by some a##hole till next week. You spend such short amounts of time at top end.
The time on the water should be spent going places and seeing things and enjoying new and old friends. and LOTS and LOTS of DRINKS!!
NOW days build them for long range fuel effecient cruising.
Remember what Don Johnson said in that episode about his boat..."It'll out run anything in Fidels navy"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.