Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Active Thunder
Value of this 32 >

Value of this 32

Notices

Value of this 32

Old 09-27-2007, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of this 32

I've been doing some boat shopping lately, got a deal pending on mine, so I'm ready to get serious about it.
Been looking at several brands, but I do really like the AT's. I came across this 96 32, with HP450's (never knew of these engines, but there seems to be no big issues with them), boat is in very good condition (from the looks of the pics). Owner has an asking price of 65k, which is in the range I'm looking for. So, I go to NADA to get what the value is...boy was I suprised to see that NADA has the value at 20k less. Why is that? AT is a well built boat, & other brands in the same year, & length, the value is right at what the owner is asking or even more than asking price.
Now, I am certainly not going to insult this gentleman with this figure, & that is just beyond a "low ball" offer, but I am very intrested, & I certainly don't want to be "upside down" on a used boat.
Am I wrong in my thinking that NADA is the value the bank will look at for financing? Am I doing something wrong when looking at the NADA pricing. I know I can add the add-ons & get the price up a few grand, but this is way off, IMO....
Has anyone else encountered this with an AT? Is there any way to work something out so the bank will finance it....Without me having to come up with 20 grand, just to be upside down in the boat.
Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated....
Attachment 300517

Attachment 300518

Attachment 300519

Last edited by rangerrick63; 06-27-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The boat looks like its had a considerable amount of updating... dash/gauges, throttles, GPS, cockpit vinyl looks new, and the trailer looks to be in good shape. These are all things that NADA does NOT take into account. NADA does not know how to adjust for this. If you can get someone to get a BUC value for you, that may be more accurate.

I don't have any specific details on THAT boat, but I have seen pictures of it here and on Speedwake I believe. Do some digging here:
http://www.speedwake.com/upload/foru...?s=&forumid=23

Boat looks great BTW.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-27-2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

AT’s are an interesting market because they are not a production boat. The 32 market is also really strong. From my experience there is typically more demand for them then supply so top dollar is not uncommon. Also, when buying a boat that old you need to look at condition and upgrades/updates. As for being upside down, it’s a boat! I heard the other day that my dad’s old 1994 with 465HP’s just sold for 60K and the thing partially sank at one time and was rebuilt..

Also look at your near term maintance cost. Is it time to freshen up motors and drives or have they been done recently. The 450's should probably be freshened up every 300 hours. drives 200 hours.

Last edited by crb76; 09-27-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
The boat looks like its had a considerable amount of updating... dash/gauges, throttles, GPS, cockpit vinyl looks new, and the trailer looks to be in good shape. These are all things that NADA to NOT take into account. NADA does not know how to adjust for this. If you can get someone to get a BUC value for you, that may be more accurate.

I don't have any specific details on THAT boat, but I have seen pictures of it here and on Speedwake I believe. Do some digging here:
http://www.speedwake.com/upload/foru...?s=&forumid=23

Boat looks great BTW.
Thanks for the insight, I spoke witht the gentleman that owns it now, & yes, he has done extensive work on it. He sent me a few more pics, & they all show that the work seems to be top notch. The boat, at one point was in Louisana, "Face Off", he has since removed that, & spent alot of time & effort on updates. This is definetly a boat I'd like to pursue, he is located wayyyy up in Wisconsin, & he is not far from placing in winter storage, so it may have to wait till the spring to make a move on it, but I'll just have to see what my work schedule is for travel before it goes into storage.
I will look into the BUC value, & I was told to get in touch with loanranger to see if I will be able to work out financing, then I may throw out an offer to him.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by crb76
AT’s are an interesting market because they are not a production boat. The 32 market is also really strong. From my experience there is typically more demand for them then supply so top dollar is not uncommon. Also, when buying a boat that old you need to look at condition and upgrades/updates. As for being upside down, it’s a boat! I heard the other day that my dad’s old 1994 with 465HP’s just sold for 60K and the thing partially sank at one time and was rebuilt..

Also look at your near term maintance cost. Is it time to freshen up motors and drives or have they been done recently. The 450's should probably be freshened up every 300 hours. drives 200 hours.
That is what I found so odd, I also looked at a 31 Sonic, & the value was more than the AT. NADA has the "custom built" disclaimer on both, & I've found that the two are very comparable. I do know the difficulty in locating a 28 or 32 AT, they do seem to move pretty quick, when placed up for sale. That really says alot about the quality of boat they are.
I do hope I can make a deal on it, he has really but alot of effort into the boat & it shows.
Thanks
Old 09-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by rangerrick63
That is what I found so odd, I also looked at a 31 Sonic, & the value was more than the AT. NADA has the "custom built" disclaimer on both, & I've found that the two are very comparable. I do know the difficulty in locating a 28 or 32 AT, they do seem to move pretty quick, when placed up for sale. That really says alot about the quality of boat they are.
I do hope I can make a deal on it, he has really but alot of effort into the boat & it shows.
Thanks
Just remember that a 31 Sonic is almost 2 feet shorter than a 32 Active Thunder. The Sonic has the integrated swim platform measured into the overall length. The 32 AT has more true hull in the water, and will be noticeable in rough water.

FWIW, there is no love loss between Sonic and Active Thunder. While they are compared way too often than they should be; the camps have been friendly for years. Jay Ross, founder of SonicUSA is now the VP of Active Thunder.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-27-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:18 PM

I have seen on different threads, the comparison of the two boats.
While I've not seen either, outside of pics, well actually, I have seen a 32 AT out of Texas, after Emearald Coast, he passed me on the interstate....Thats about as close as I've been. Not too many AT's here on the Gulfcoast, but it is one of the few boats that I've not read, ANYTHING negative about, & due to the fact, when folks have them, they tend to hang on to them.
I do hope to be in an AT for next season.....
Old 09-27-2007, 12:36 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

looks like a nice boat.
i know of some single 28 panteras that are 10+yr old going in the low-mid 40s, so asking 65k for this doesn't seem unreasonable.
If you really like it, make a low offer. He may want it gone before winter.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Boat looks pretty nice, remember when using Nada you have to add for the options, especially since AT's are custom built boats I am not saying add for every rope or life vest, but things like hydralic steering, trim tabs the more powerful motors (Nada has stock as 365 horse) the cover front and back will run you a $1000, looks like a nice gps, the headers the stainless props. Nada assumes it has nothing, also that trailer is worth a good $5,000-$8,000.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I ran it NADA with the pretty standard AT equipment and what I saw in the pics and came up close to 54k average retail not including the trailer. I would figure low 60's on the trailer and maybe more depending engines and other upgrades.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.