A/T or Hustler >

A/T or Hustler

Notices

A/T or Hustler

Old 10-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/T or Hustler

Thinking of moving up to a 38 and have narrowed it down to either a 37 A/T or 388 Slingshot, mostly lake erie boating but it gets pretty rough out there at times so i am looking for the one that will have the best all around comfort, rough ride capability and handling with a twin 525 set-up. speed in the high 80's to low 90's would be great as well. Which would you recomend for all around performance especially rough water.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

drive both if able...then make your own decision. Ive been on both and owned a 03-37 AT. I do prefer the bottom on the 37 better, especially in the ruff stuff, more of an Offshore boat vs a large lake boat. I also liked the deeper cockpit, and the way the boat steered. The Hustler to me looks better, fit and finish was slightly better up to the 05' A.T.'s After 05' the A.T.'s are finished with the same quality or slightly better. The cabins in the A.T.'s are definatly nicer as the years went on, where Hustler hasn't done anything sugnificant to change or update. Thats my personal opinion. Good Luck. Jeff
Old 10-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would imagine by posting this in the AT forum that you'd get no one telling you the Hustler would be a better boat.

Personally I'd take my 33 AT over a 38 Hustler. But then again, I'm an AT guy.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:49 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I've been on several trips with the 37 AT and a 38 hustler (in my own boat, they were part of our traveling group). The 37 AT is a longer boat (no molded swim platform), bigger cabin, MUCH better ride based on riding beside them for hours. I think my 31 Formula handled big water better than the 388 Hustler, but again.....I wasn't riding in the Hustler.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I've been in a few Hustlers. They are great boats. IMHO, the cabins feel very small, tight, and compartmented in THIS comparison. Even a center entry cabin 37AT feels bigger than the 388 Slingshot. A side entry 37AT will be laid out much better than the Hustler.

The 37AT will be able to run faster than the 388 Hustler MORE COMFORTABLY; like powered when side by side in identical rough water. The Hustler will be a faster boat tick for tick on flat water "speed trial" type runs. When it really matters (rough water), the AT definitely has an advantage.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

The newer model AT's (05-present) are really finished nice. In my opinion much better than any 388 I have seen, and probably in the top three or four v-hull made. As for ride, no comparison…. The 388 is scary at times, it is also flighty at high speeds (over 90mph) and in certain conditions! This is coming from a man who spun out it one going over a cruiser wake at 40mph. I may be a little biased. The AT rides solid but stiff like a sports car. It kind of reminds me of my SL500, meaning it feels heavy and solid but quick. It takes any water you can throw at it, literally. It will never fly on you and it flys level. Speed…The new Hustlers run upper 80’s with 525’s. The AT will run mid to upper 80’s. I have seen 90 with Herrings on a really nice day with about 50% fuel. This greatly depends on set up (Full cabin vs. lighter cabin which means fewer amenities and less weight). My boat is heavy, roughly 10,250lbs.

No matter my opinion, call David Barbee at Elton Porter Insurance. He is the only person I know who has owned both the 388 Slingshot and the 37 AT AVH. He can be reached at (W) 713-314-3403, (M) 281-772-4787. He is also the best marine insurance broker I know.

Last edited by crb76; 10-03-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by laszlo01
Thinking of moving up to a 38 and have narrowed it down to either a 37 A/T or 388 Slingshot, mostly lake erie boating but it gets pretty rough out there at times so i am looking for the one that will have the best all around comfort, rough ride capability and handling with a twin 525 set-up. speed in the high 80's to low 90's would be great as well. Which would you recomend for all around performance especially rough water.
I'm actually in the same boat as you are. Lake Erie boater and needing somethign to upgrade bigger to that will handle the nasty washer machine effect lake erie.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, what's with all the PQ guys?

Macklin, help me out here!
Old 10-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Ok, what's with all the PQ guys?

Macklin, help me out here!

Ive owned one of those also, PQ..especially the 99-2001 38's....and while your at it...throw in a 2000 single step Top Gun..scariest unstable boat Ive ever owned. PERIOD....
Old 10-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by laszlo01
i'm like you, looking at a few Hustlers, seen both side by side and to me there is no comparision! :

gotta stir the sh!$ a little

Quick Reply: A/T or Hustler

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.