We lost one of the good guys. >

We lost one of the good guys.

Notices

We lost one of the good guys.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default We lost one of the good guys.

Most of the cult that has visited the factory since it moved to Florida have directly or indirectly met Steve Miller.

Steve did everything from building the plugs and molds for the 28, 33 and 37, to rigging when the rigger quit to overseeing the 37 Outlaw race boat and handling Kevin and his crew.

I even threw him curve balls which he always seemed to hit outside the ball field. Never said can't and always finished what he started doing the very best he could. Everything from Dave's Skater that was run over on the Turnpike to a collectors '66 Vette that he just proudly finished.

Anyways, we lost him last night due to an avoidable mistake. If you know Haulover Inlet and the sandbar, they were anchored drinking a few cold ones. Steve dove in the water and misjudged the depth and his angle of entry. You know the rest. Unfortunate but atleast it was immediate.

He will be missed.

Last edited by ActiveThunder; 07-28-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

It's not often that I talk to Pat and he's not in a chipper mood. This morning you could tell something bad had happened. This morning, Steve's wife met Pat at the door, and told him of the news.

Steve was usually the first guy in the shop in the morning, and was always the last one there at night. This was the case many a time, as he was known to work ALL NIGHT on occasion. That's dedication.

RIP Steve Miller.
You will be missed.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-28-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sad. RIP
Old 07-28-2008, 04:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sad news indeed. RIP Steve
Old 07-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE
That very unfortunate to hear.. I personally have never met him however it is a shame when bad things happen to great people. Thoughts and prayers for him and his family.

He is super guy, very conscience..very sad indeed..RIP.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I met Steve when I was building my 28 back in 2000. He was the kind of guy that was instantly likeable and had this very cool demeanor about him.

I remember him working on my 28, finishing up some small detail work the day of my sea trial. It was a Saturday and he was the only one in the shop. He ended up coming out with Pat and I for the sea trial. There were still a few items that needed to be finished and as soon as we got the boat back to the shop, he started working on it again. I was completely taken by his dedication.

As it turns out, Steve rigged Remedy. To this day, I have not fixed one thing he touched.

He will be greatly missed. My condolences to his family and friends.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails We lost one of the good guys.-33bilgerig2.jpg  
Old 07-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sad news, If he is the same Steve that was working on my 28 when I was there, from what I saw it would be tough to replace him 2 or 3 guys he was always moveing and get'n it done with a simle on his face. R.I.P.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

It is very sad indeed. I talked to Pat earlier today and he told me this story. He was a great guy and will be missed.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Pat you had a few "Steves" that have worked for you. I cannot remember which one this is. Was he currently working for you when he had his accident? How long was he working for you? Sorry to hear of the tragic loss. Life is precious and very short.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve walked in the door right about 1996 and his resume said "built sailboat masts". Why did I hire him?????

Will never forget we had a 25 to deliver to CA. The boat was due 2 days earlier but of course we were late.

I'm in the cabin inspecting and see all of this little holes in the headliner.

As I am repairing them quickly as possible I see this drill bit poking thru every 8"s.

The holes were from Steve and if you know my temper........

I forgave him and the boat was delivered.

What memories.

Quick Reply: We lost one of the good guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.