Saturday test run.

Notices

Saturday test run.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Saturday test run.

I got to use the Thunder yesterday. I stil have a little more work to do. I cant believe how this boat rides!! I didnt get to run it hard because it still has old fuel in it. Im sure its going to
be good. I do have a question about trimming it up. I may not have a problem it may be me. This is the first dual engine boat I have owned. And the first dual engine boat I have ever rode in.
First off my other boat is a single engine Sonic 260 Prowler.
I can run this boat with 2 dots up (1/4 on the guage) all the time. Its a 71-72 mph boat topped out.
I can run it 4 dots up (close to 1/2 on the guage at full throttle) and the boat still drives ok
and handles ok. With that much trim it slows it down but there is no loss of controll. It does not have hydraullic steering.
Now I tried out my 32 Active Thunder. I put the trim up about
2 numbers and the boat felt great and ran good. It also felt stable and very easy to controll at speeds. (60 to 80 mph) I was just playing with it and everything was fine. So I went to take the boat to full throttle and started to run the trim up like I do with my sonic. I put the trim at about 4 dots up, 3/4 throttle,the gps was 88 mph. and I went to move the wheel just a very little to the right and it went hard to the right. Then I pulled it to the left to correct and it went hard to the left. I was pulling the throttles back at the same time this happened to slow the boat and keep control.
If I was rumming 96/98 mph I dont think I could have saved it.
Do you guys think I had to much trim?
Does the 32 not like over 1/4 trim?
I did get to run it last saturday and it did not to that. But I never put any trim in it and I run the boat up to 86 mph at 3/4 throttle.I didnt have any problems steering the boat eather. Is hydraluic steering a must for this mph or does it just make it better.
Please Tell me your thoughts on this.

Last edited by tfarmer; 04-19-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default short video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsqqBghua-c
Old 04-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

anything over 70 and you should have hydraulic steering. the boat sounds mean in the short vid. congrats on the new purchase
Old 04-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
anything over 70 and you should have hydraulic steering.
I believe he is saying the old Sonic does not have hydro.
What do you have for power? It sounds like you're making some HPs. Sorry I can't help you on the trim in a 32 but I'm sure some of these guys can help out.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boatfreak
What do you have for power? It sounds like you're making some HPs. Sorry I can't help you on the trim in a 32 but I'm sure some of these guys can help out.
I run my 32 with 500hp 3/4 trim at 85 mph and handles like a dream, i do have ext steering and my hull is a bit diffrent at the notch in the rear i belive being a 2000. nice boat sound like you got some hp, im putting mine back together with in a couple weeks should make around 600 hp.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by boatfreak
They are custom bbc N/A 625hp
Yes, I dont have hydraulic steering on eather boat. Im going to put is on the Thunder asap.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Registered

Are the gimble's tight? Is there play side to side at the drives?
Is there any play at the tiller where the steering cable hooks?
FULL HYD steering is the way to go at the speeds you are talking about and nothing less.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for all your replys. I just went out and checked it.
The up and down in ok. But the side to side is 4"to "' of loose.
I wasnt sure if that would tighten when the engines were running with the power steering pump.
Where do I need to take the boat for the full steering install?
Whos the man?

Last edited by tfarmer; 04-20-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Registered

Sounds like the gimble's are not much good also. You don't want any slop in there. I don't have a clue where to go in KY
Old 04-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by cosmic12
Sounds like the gimble's are not much good also. You don't want any slop in there. I don't have a clue where to go in KY
I dont mind to take it out of state if needed. If I do it myself whats the best company to buy it from? Single ram dual ram
pros and cons?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.