windscrean has little surface cracks >

windscrean has little surface cracks

Notices

windscrean has little surface cracks

Old 04-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mobuzz
Interesting that this came up. This morning, my wife was 'hovering' as I was in the AT section and she pointed at a picture of Remedy.

She said, "I want one of those before we go out again!"

I said, "WOOOHOOO!!!!

She said, "not the whole boat, just the windscreen!"

So-o-o-o
Can you give me an idea of dimensions and material?

Thanks!
Call Acrylico.com They made one for a guy with a 28 last year so I'm sure they have the template.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE
I don't have one at all.. Just the flip ups which I am hoping to have removed. How hard is it to install if there hasn't been one there before?
There really isn't anything to it. You will just have to drill the holes that others already have but that would be easy. You just have to remove the pad, line the thing up and mark where to drill. Could you use self-tappers on this?
Old 04-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best material to make the windscreen from is Lexan (GE trade name) or Polycarbonate (Generic name). The bends could be put in on a pressbrake to conform to the contour of the boat. We used to bend 1/8" polycarbonate well over 90 degrees with no cracks or problems. If you tried to bend plexiglass like that it would just shatter. I would think if the mounting holes were chamfered to help prevent cracks from around the holes that there would be no problems out of the wind screens. Would be a postive change for the 2011 models.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can bend Lexan without a brake as well. Just carefully warm the line where you wish to bend it with a propane torch and it will bend there. Just be careful and it doesn't take much heat. A hot flame and move over it quickly so the heat doesn't soak outward. Best to practice on a scrap first if you havn't done it before. This works on plexiglass as well since it cant be bent cold.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
It actually happens from the cockpit cover stressing and flexing the cover while towing. I strongly recommend putting some soft foam pipe insulation from Home Depot over the windscreen ANY time you install the cockpit cover.

We get them made down in Pompano. However, any plexi/plastic shop can do it. We have a company here in in Richmond that makes them for us out of Lexan. I think my replacement cost $88 bucks when they have a scrap strip they can cut to fit my size.

I never thought of the cover putting stress on them.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you know how much it cost?
It was for 'Outriggers.' I think it was less than $100, but PM him to be sure.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this thread I just haven't had time to respond. Mine had the small cracks (crazing I call it). I am told its from using ammonia products to clean it. (ie windex) Then I put a real crack in it in with the garage door not up all the way. I sent Carlo's at Acrlico the pieces and he made 2 for me and hardcoated both. There is good info on his website,check out the hardcoating. I don't remember the cost exactly, I thougt it was reasonable with the shipping. Doug http://acrylico.com/default.aspx
Old 04-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Doug,

Is this the place A/T uses?
Scott, I don't think so. Carlo's (Acrlico) is a member here. Mine is a 28 so he should have all the info. I think the hard coating will make it last much longer if I don't try to take out the garage door with it. Doug
Attached Thumbnails windscrean has little surface cracks-100_1714.jpg  

Last edited by outriggers; 04-13-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Added pic