Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Active Thunder (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/active-thunder-30/)
-   -   want to buy 25 active thunder (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/active-thunder/251620-want-buy-25-active-thunder.html)

sleev-les 05-16-2012 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by R Addiction (Post 3688226)
Nice paint is right. No steering (hydraulic) though.

Originally Posted by R Addiction (Post 3688506)
Ours steered fine also but there is nothing like the feeling of full hydraulic. Right Sleev-les?

Exactly this..... Full hydraulic is money. You'd be crazy to leave cable unless you didn't have a choice (budget etc.).....

HavinATantrum 05-16-2012 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by sleev-les (Post 3688643)
Exactly this..... Full hydraulic is money. You'd be crazy to leave cable unless you didn't have a choice (budget etc.).....

Wasn't saying it wouldn't be nice to have hydraulic, but the boat would be good for anyone to buy just the way it is. My guess is most of us started out with cables, some stayed, some spent money on hydraulic. Suspect most left the factory with cables.

R Addiction 05-16-2012 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by HavinATantrum (Post 3688795)
Wasn't saying it wouldn't be nice to have hydraulic, but the boat would be good for anyone to buy just the way it is. My guess is most of us started out with cables, some stayed, some spent money on hydraulic. Suspect most left the factory with cables.

It is crazy how many left the factory with just cable or external. When we were building our Tantrum I was naive and just wanted the offshore look and the loud exhaust (Gil). I drove the boat for 125 hours then felt the steering getting very loose, and was told by a friend that there was excessive side to side play at the drive. Pulled the boat and found I had worn out the gimbal ring. Luckily it was covered by my extended warranty. After this I installed the external dual ram steering (Imco) and the boat felt fine. Then within a year the play from the rack and the cable got on my nerves so I finished up the steering to the helm. Love it. Best upgrade I've done so far.

sleev-les 05-16-2012 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by R Addiction (Post 3688878)
It is crazy how many left the factory with just cable or external. When we were building our Tantrum I was naive and just wanted the offshore look and the loud exhaust (Gil). I drove the boat for 125 hours then felt the steering getting very loose, and was told by a friend that there was excessive side to side play at the drive. Pulled the boat and found I had worn out the gimbal ring. Luckily it was covered by my extended warranty. After this I installed the external dual ram steering (Imco) and the boat felt fine. Then within a year the play from the rack and the cable got on my nerves so I finished up the steering to the helm. Love it. Best upgrade I've done so far.

Yup, and got to love it now that I can turn my wheel with ease while docking lol

R Addiction 05-16-2012 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by sleev-les (Post 3688992)
Yup, and got to love it now that I can turn my wheel with ease while docking lol

True dat!

My Addiction 05-16-2012 08:52 PM

Yeah,turning with ease is nice. Mine has dual rams but the helm unit is for a single. So lock to lock is a workout.

Cannon8468 05-18-2012 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by mgh (Post 3677435)
your inbox is full

I have 0 messages. Call 1 847 816 8468. Mark. I have a 24 and a 32. Both are extremely clean. You will not be dissapointed. If you come to buy one of the boats and it does not meet my discription, I'll pay your travel expenses 100%. Both boats are very clean and nice. I'd rather sell the 32. Both boats are about the same price. Please call 1 847 816 8468. We need to talk on the phone. If you are serious, you will call me. I'll send you plenty of pix. If you come here I will take you for a ride and both boats will perform as expected.
Both boats are 1994. I bought both boats from the original owners. They both also sold new at the Racine in Water Boat Show in 1994. In 1994 and 1995 these boats were called "Cannon Powerboats" not "Active Thunder". I have Hull #1 on the 32 and Hull #2 on the 24. Call me. Mark.

Gordo 05-23-2012 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by My Addiction (Post 3689413)
Yeah,turning with ease is nice. Mine has dual rams but the helm unit is for a single. So lock to lock is a workout.

I Hear Ya!
Mine is the same. I Love everything about my boat except the steering ratio. I was told it was so I didn't "oversteer" the boat.
After an hour long race I'd be wore out from the steering workout! I would love to swap out the helm, but then I start looking at newer &/or bigger boats.. and forget what I was looking for...

txpilot83 09-14-2015 04:55 PM

Reviving an old thread here. I currently have a Scarab 23 SCS with the 502mag. Wanting to upgrade to a unique top quality single with bolster seats. The AT tantrums seem totally bad azz. Are all they all 100% composite? If not when did that start? The power packages seem to be all over the map, I've seen them with everything from 600sc to 454s. Was the carbed 454 a factory option? Ive only seen a few with mechanical trim indicators, was that a pricy option? Is it true only about 40 where made? Anything issues to look for when searching? Thanks!

My Addiction 09-14-2015 08:35 PM

'98 and up are composite. Its my understanding that they were mostly built to order. Not sure on the indicators,mine has them. I used to think the build number was 37 but i guess 42 is the new number. As far as issues, I have never heard of any.
I think, to this day, its the best all around performance boat under 28'