37 Active Thunder Restoration >

37 Active Thunder Restoration

Notices

37 Active Thunder Restoration

Old 06-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You have white gel coat with paint on top, and the graphics were probably cleared over, but not the white gel coat. The gel coat is literally "pure white", with no tint added.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:39 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambocj7
Thanks for the replies so far! I was able to find the correct hatch replacement. Have also totally cleaned the cabin area and it looks pretty amazing. Took panels off and very little moisture, just a but of sand here and there. will post pics soon.

A couple more questions (I assume Pat will be able to answer):

What is the exterior finish? Paint and then gel? Clear coat? I have some spots to re-do

Also looking for replacement couch cushions, mine are missing.

What is engine compartment painted with? ITs literally peeling off by hand...everywhere, like it wasnt sanded or was redone at some point. I cant see a boat being under for a couple of hours make that much difference in paint adhesion. I will be redoing it, I just want to make sure I get it right!
Was thinking sherwin williams...

Help is greatly appreciated!

Pat will tell you... Awlgrip Topcoat for the bilge. Get the brushable components. And as he says " get a mask or get a doctor "
Old 06-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the additional info!

Another question: When I picked the boat up, one half of the cockpit floor is 'soft'.
I was told that there is a metal plate underneath it and that on the one side, the plate became dis-lodged when the bolster ripped out of the floor.

Not sure if this is true or not, but the floor on the passenger side is DEFINITELY soft.

Any insight on how to fix this? I've repaired floors in the past. Would just like to know what I'm dealing with before I start cutting holes!
Old 06-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Registered

My other boat is not selling fast and was actually thinking of swapping the motors from it in the meantime to get it on the water.
Some 502 MPI motors, 415 HP each.
I know the purists will probably hate it!
What kind of speeds would I see? Low 70s?
Old 06-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that is an awfully big boat for 502's... but seems like low 70's would definitely be a reasonable number especially with the step hull

Last edited by AJ POWERPLAY; 06-20-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rambocj7
my other boat is not selling fast and was actually thinking of swapping the motors from it in the meantime to get it on the water.
Some 502 mpi motors, 415 hp each.
I know the purists will probably hate it!
What kind of speeds would i see? Low 70s?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Registered

So this IS REALLY turning into a restoration now. Just finished de-rigging the engine compartment and going to start there first. There is a LOT of rot in the boat. Basically, any hole that was cut through wood, wasnt sealed and water got in.
Floor is gone, access panels in engine compartment. etc.
Thank god stringers and transom are good!
Also, the paint in the engine compartment isnt worth a damn. It flakes off in big pieces! Its like it wasnt sanded or the gel was already cured before it was painted. I can't see just getting water in there would do this....but maybe I'm wrong.

Anybody have an idea on the length/throw of the ram needed for the engine hatch?

Recent pics:

http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/...der%20Project/

Last edited by Rambocj7; 07-24-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Rambocj7;3737758]So this IS REALLY turning into a restoration now. Just finished de-rigging the engine compartment and going to start there first. There is a LOT of rot in the boat. Basically, any hole that was cut through wood, wasnt sealed and water got in.
Floor is gone, access panels in engine compartment. etc.
Thank god stringers and transom are good!
Also, the paint in the engine compartment isnt worth a damn. It flakes off in big pieces! Its like it wasnt sanded or the gel was already cured before it was painted. I can't see just getting water in there would do this....but maybe I'm wrong.

Anybody have an idea on the length/throw of the ram needed for the engine hatch?

Wow, what year is this boat? That rot doesn't seem right.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:10 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,824 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by TCBoss302
Wow, what year is this boat? That rot doesn't seem right.
Keep in mind, this boat was underwater and then sat for several years. Not sure if it was covered, but I doubt it.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Keep in mind, this boat was underwater and then sat for several years. Not sure if it was covered, but I doubt it.
Yeah I never got the full story! How long did it sit for?? I figure it either was not drained for a while after it was raised or like you said, it sat for a while...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.