Sommerflysby AWOL >

Sommerflysby AWOL

Notices

Sommerflysby AWOL

Old 04-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Id like to try that, but with segways....

Sounds like a great trip Mike. And the best part, no issues with anything! Truck, boat, trailer, etc. Saweet.

If that had been me, I would blew at least 2 trailer tires, smoked a bearing or two, lost a water pump on the truck, and had at least one breakdown on the water needing a tow from boat u.s. , and would have got several tickets from that DNR officer.
Sounds awesome...except for the driving part which I can relate with the issue part. 2011 Florida spring break trip, broke a wheel bearing backing in my driveway. Lucky hey? Gotta go again then right. 2012....well, 1 year old trailer tire decided to give it up (Il.) and take one of my trailer lights with it. Luckily I have another light on the same side in my drive protection brace across the trailer. On they way back, just out side of Tampa, a belt started to separate on another. Just happy both tire issue happened in a decent spot. 2013 we flew and rented some POS in Marco Is. 2014 boat coming with again.

Moral of my story, Yes the 3 hour flight was nice, but not having my boat in these waters???? Taking two weeks next year.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Another example of the room you have on one of these wonderful boats. You can tie your bikes in and still room to move around.......try that with a 39 gun.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Registered

Mike,
We passed you in Louisville south of the bridge heading home. We were in a blue CTS going like a raped ape and saw you bouncing around pretty good. The traffic just plane sucked. The boat looks awesome. Congrats.
We left Palmetto at 1:00 AM yesterday and was in Rockford Mi at 7:30 PM. It helps to be in a car running 85 the whole time.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:47 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah...Louisville is where I-65 started getting ROUGH. Plus, I got stuck behind some jackhole semi doing 45 through the entire city. Traffic was so thick in the left lane I couldn't jump out, so I just had to sit in and go slow.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you had a good trip. Sands and Scotty's are great places.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Registered

Mike, slight correction... See below.

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Ran back up to Key Biscayne and pulled into Crandonton Park Marina, where we enjoyed meeting Mr. Manitee (Bill Zimmerman) or BZ for short the next slip over, and had cocktails on the beach for the afternoon.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
What? Nobody else does this? Lol.

There are two in there...Michelle's bike is black and red and perfectly matches the boat. The green one is my new Trek Madone...picked it up the day before we left, so my first ride on it was in FL. 16.5 lbs of carbon goodness...

I strapped and cushioned them with a myriad of bungee cords and a couple of large moving blankets when we were underway. Didn't budge OR hurt anything in 3-5s on the ocean...but I took it pretty easy and kept the boat in the water as much as possible.
Hi Mike,
Glad you made it back OK! I have to admit, the bike thing cracks me up, I guess I'll have to give you "side-entry" guys the thumbs up on that one! It would be pretty hard to carry the bikes on a center entry (not that I'ld want to do it) ! You sure live a charmed life, not even having to dip your new trailer in the saltwater, that's great. Sounds like you had a great time in Florida, except for the drive!
Steve
Old 04-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Nice blog post Mike!
http://sommerfliesby.blogspot.com/20...red-miles.html

Glad to see you are enjoying the boat. I hate to say it, but...
...I told you so!

When are you going to post the <S> picture in the cabin which $old you?

Did you blow a tire on the trip? I thought I saw something about that on FB.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:54 AM
Registered

No issues at all with tires. Got a pretty big rock chip right by the step on the port side, but that's an easy fix. Thanks for the compliment on the blog...its a long read, but I've been enjoying writing this stuff down and reliving it when I read it again down the road.
Attached Thumbnails Sommerflysby AWOL-p9100588.jpg  
Old 04-10-2013, 05:59 AM
Registered

For those that don't wish to muddle through the ENTIRE blog post...I figure this short excerpt is the one that Pat will appreciate the most:

"I took my sweet time at the ramp, walking over to survey the ramp itself as well as the parking area, so I had my entire route planned out before execution...the smart thing to do with 40 feet of boat and trailer behind you. Also...its best to not look like an absolute idiot if you can avoid it. Well, I was successful on all counts...backed the trailer in, floated the boat, and tied it off on the wall, then went up and parked the truck and trailer (although, admittedly, it took me a while to line the rig up so I was only using one parking spot). So...I was feeling pretty good about myself when I jumped in the boat to fire it up and take off. I turned the keys and the motors roared to life, and, without hesitation, I put it in gear and we pushed off the wall. Well...task number one was to turn the boat around 180 degrees and head for the Intercoastal, so I put the port motor to forward, and the starboard motor in reverse. I was fighting a wind and a slight current, but suddenly, everything started feeling...wrong. A quick glance at the dashboard told me that the starboard motor had died. I was not prepared for this in the LEAST...especially considering the motors were fuel-injected and should NEVER die! So, I was faced with fighting a wind and current and turning a large (and unfamiliar) boat with one motor...and, no power steering (that pump is on the starboard motor, apparently). Yup. Full-on panic. Turned the wheel as hard as I could while trying to restart the motor, and it wouldn't fire. I had to reverse-lock the wheel and put the boat in reverse to get the bow to come around, and by this time, all I wanted to do was get the boat back on the wall. Michelle jumped on the bow, and managed to get on land, and I was able to get the boat close enough that she could pull me in. We tied it off, and I was immediately on the phone to Pat in a panic. Repeated attempts to start the motor would result in a sputter, but it wouldn't catch. Pat finally answered and came quickly over, and, after the quickest glance and turn of the key, proclaimed "You had me come over here for THIS?" Well...I felt relieved and stupid at the same time...and that degenerated to just feeling stupid when he pumped the throttle a couple times and the motor instantly lit. Turns out, you CAN flood an EFI engine if you do not let it warm up properly. Oops. Learn something new every day. Pat kicked us off the dock, and down the Intercoastal we went to the Sands Harbor Marina, where I successfully docked the boat. We then got some help from the locals tying off to compensate for the tides, and hit the accompanying hotel's restaurant, pool and BAR. Pina Coladas for me and Rum Runners for Michelle, replete with Bacardi 151 floaters. A walk across the street to a terrific restaurant for dinner capped an exciting day, and we went to bed EARLY."

When I rec'd my bill from him prior to departure...it was itemized as pictured. Lol.
Attached Thumbnails Sommerflysby AWOL-sb7.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.