Savage gets a little update / upgrade >

Savage gets a little update / upgrade

Notices

Savage gets a little update / upgrade

Old 10-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Nice work Andy.. as soon as I get this 18' 255Ibs I beam up on my gantry 16' high I`ll be ready to do the same. I have thoughts of muscle ing it up there but I think a boom might be in order.

I'll be looking for that upgrade tread!This project, like any, has already scene a couple curve balls. Heads were cracked. 2-seats were sh**. One gimble bearing starting to go to pot. New aluminum anodized heads are on order. Hopefully, your project goes predictable.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

new heads means more horsepower than originally thought...
Old 10-27-2013, 01:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Drock78
new heads means more horsepower than originally thought...
Yes sir! Looking at the the cam and exhaust also. May extend risers now also. Calling comp on Monday to see what the options are now.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Registered

Default Updates

Project is moving along fairly well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]511771[/ATTACH]

Bilge Cleaned up nice.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]511772[/ATTACH]

For the interesting discovery, WTF is this firing order??? Just starting dismantling #2 when I notice this????

[ATTACH=CONFIG]511773[/ATTACH]

After researching all the head options I decided to stay with the cast Vortec. Turns out must of the aluminum heads are designed for a cube increase or actually flow less vs. the cast Vortec. Also, corrosion protection would be a must since I like to bring this down to Fl. So, installed Manley Race series valves, ported and milled the heads. FYI, the Bee Hive Comp Springs STILL require machining the head. The outside of the spring rubs on the casting.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]511775[/ATTACH]

One done one to go.

After removing the Stainless Marine Exhaust i discovered the bridge between to two inner ports was starting to fail from a bad gasket. Surprisingly I was able to tig this since it's cast aluminum.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]511774[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Savage gets a little update / upgrade-bilge.jpg   Savage gets a little update / upgrade-firing-order-wtf.jpg   Savage gets a little update / upgrade-heads.jpg  

Savage gets a little update / upgrade-one-done-one-go.jpg   Savage gets a little update / upgrade-tig-welded.jpg  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Registered

After many late nights i've finally finished. Should be going back in soon. Maybe if I get lucky I'll get a nice day for a shake down run.
Attached Thumbnails Savage gets a little update / upgrade-20131110_135302.jpg   Savage gets a little update / upgrade-20131112_181451.jpg  
Old 11-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Registered

Did you repaint your bilge or no?
Old 11-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Registered

No, it was very clean to begin with. I usually wash it twice a year anyway. Maybe I won't need to since the port engine now has a new rear main seal.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Registered

On Wednesday, I noticed Friday's forecast was for 52 and sunny with SW 10 mph or less wind. So, I pushed my body to it's limits to get-ur-done. After a brief fire up in the driveway to set timing and headed for Lake Michigan. Unfortunately, I hit the boat ramp at 4:15 pm. Knowing I had maybe an hour of light and temperatures on the way down from the delightful November 52*f , I knew I had to move quickly. Looking around I see fisherman coming in and an older couple (being nice we'll call them special) trying to load a very old cruiser onto a roller trailer screaming at each other. Since I was alone, I scanned for a confident volunteer which came from a slow moving fisherman (probably cold from being on the water for the day) accepted my plea.

With my body flowing with adrenaline and anticipation I turn the keys. They fire right up and idle beautifully. Looking down at the gauges, I see the Air / fuel gauges are within a tenth of where they were with the stock cams and heads. Now for the checks, Oil pressure yep, impeller pressure yep, Goes in forward and reverse yep. All looks good so far. But then I notice, the much loader exhaust then before, lumpy idle from the 10.8 A/F cold start map had sent the older couple right next to me through the roof. They continued yelling at each other, then the "when the hell are you going to pull away question" came. Normally, since the question came with such distain I would have slowed my pace but my need to get this on plane to break in the chromoly rings was paramount. So I untie and pull off.

Once in the harbor, I slowly move the sticks. First impression, nice torque and the exhaust sound is definitely louder. Hopefully this doesn't cause noise complaints from the local patrol at some point. Now after making my way halfway across the harbor I see the port engine temp dart for 200*. Shut er down. Pull the thermostat. Restart, all good now but running just warm enough. Gradually, bring her back to 3K for a little while. Stopped, felt port engine to see if any heat was being made to compensate for the Lake Michigan's 50* surface water temp. Pleased to feel warm water from the water pump hose. Though not enough for the computer to start pulling fuel. After, about 40 minutes plus of actually running in the rings. I decide to put her on the trailer till next year. Now 6pm. Pitch black harbor, not another boat on the water. I know I'm loading her myself. Thankfully, the wind Gods gave me a break.

After all the late nights. dismantling, cleaning, planning, sand blasting, in the paint booth, prepping, blueprinting, assembling and installing. I'm happy the way this turned out. A lot of stars had to align to do this single handily in a month and a half. Now though, time for a well deserved break.

Can't wait for summer!
Old 11-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Congratulations!, , Sounds like the project was worth it. Record time also. very nice!! Enjoy.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Registered

Andy, now that you've got it down, it would be twice as fast if you took on my boat! When was the last time you visited the beautiful Pacific Northwest for a week or two?

Good luck next spring!

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.