Exhaust Flappers? >

Exhaust Flappers?

Notices

Exhaust Flappers?

Old 05-18-2014, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Flappers?

I launched my Tantrum in Chicago yesterday and took it to Belmont Harbor, where it will stay for the season. Getting off plane for the first time, I noticed a burning smell coming from the engine compartment, which scared the sh!t out of me until I remembered that I spilled oil down the block the day before.

I also noticed a loud ticking or rattling noise inside the exhaust pipes. The boat has the corsa silent choice exhaust. After doing some research online, it sounds like the exhaust flappers are lose or falling off. It also appears that more exhaust is coming out of the starboard pipe and less out of the port. My questions are…

Has anybody replaced the exhaust flappers before?
Is it an easy job?
Where do I get replacement parts for a 502 mpi?
AND, can I continue to use the boat with this problem?

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:16 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Internal exhaust flappers rattle even when there is nothing wrong. It is probably just the metal flappers in the diverters.

More exhaust or more water??? If more water is coming out of one side, its pretty common.
Both of my 502mpis have more water coming one side than the other. Don't remember which side.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Registered

At idle it looks like the same amount of water from both pipes. On plane, it appears that more exhaust (smoke) is coming out of one side.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

One side always runs a little warmer. With the cold lake temps now, the steam is probably just more noticeable.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I often get nervous with the steam in Lake Michigan water, but what do you expect boating in ice water! I doubt that the ticking noise is a problem, do you just hear it while idling, especially when the hatch is open? Probably just the flaps in your tips banging at idle.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Registered

That does make sense, I just checked the temp of Lake Michigan in Chicago, 42 offshore, 52 near shore. This is my first year in LM, I use to boat in Lake St. Clair, a little warmer water this time of year. Must have been the flaps as well, sounded like a wrench was banging around inside the exhaust pipes, All gauges were reading normal.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Everything you describe sounds normal. I wouldn't be concerned.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:01 PM
Registered

Still have significantly more exhaust coming from the starboard side. CO2 sensor goes off when captains choice is on. Manifold problem?
Old 06-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fume detector?...mine always goes on after about 5 minutes.No leaks or any problems ever, think the sensors bad.Interal flappers been noisy since I bought mine and always have more steam from one side also.