Bilge pump in the step... >

Bilge pump in the step...

Notices

Bilge pump in the step...

Old 07-27-2014, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bilge pump in the step...

I see that the 37s without a liner there is an access under the carpet on one of the 2 steps entering in the cabin. I also understand that when the "cabin" switch is on located on the helm panel the pump cycles.

I have a 2009 37 with a liner, here are my questions:

1- how do I access the pump?
2- is the operation of how the pump works as I described above?
3- where does the floor drain in the head drain to?
4- is there anything else that drains in this area that the pump would need to pump out?

I appreciate the help!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:13 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

If you peel up the Lonseal on your top step entering the cabin, you will see an access port to get to the pump. Do this on a hot day, and/or have heat gun to soften the adhesive. It should go right back down when done.
It is a auto sensing pump that turns on every couple minutes, and turns off if no water is detected. It is wired to the Cabin Power switch on the dash.
The shower does drain into the step-bilge. So would any overflow/condensation from your A/C unit.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-27-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
If you peel up the Lonseal on your top step entering the cabin, you will see an access port to get to the pump. Do this on a hot day, and/or have heat gun to soften the adhesive. It should go right back down when done.
It is a auto sensing pump that turns on every couple minutes, and turns off if no water is detected. It is wired to the Cabin Power switch on the dash.
The shower does drain into the step-bilge. So would any overflow/condensation from your A/C unit.
Hi Brian,

Thanks!

I have carpet on both steps, same principle though, I get it.

I did feel around the carpet and didn't feel any access, then I searched here and saw the Boats with no liner had the access but didn't see any with a liner.

So, to be clear, the top step...the first step you touch entering the cabin? Is it mounted on something higher? Seems like a long way down to the bottom of the step from the top step in the cabin?

Is this a PIA job?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:28 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Pwraddr
Hi Brian,

Thanks!

I have carpet on both steps, same principle though, I get it.

I did feel around the carpet and didn't feel any access, then I searched here and saw the Boats with no liner had the access but didn't see any with a liner.

So, to be clear, the top step...the first step you touch entering the cabin? Is it mounted on something higher? Seems like a long way down to the bottom of the step from the top step in the cabin?

Is this a PIA job?
It's not a big deal to access it. Are you certain it's not working? It will turn on for about 3-5 seconds every 2 minutes. It's very quiet. It is of this design, because a float switch would not work down there on all several complex angles.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
It's not a big deal to access it. Are you certain it's not working? It will turn on for about 3-5 seconds every 2 minutes. It's very quiet. It is of this design, because a float switch would not work down there on all several complex angles.
No, I am not certain, just haven't heard any sound and never heard any water discharge and want to be sure it is functioning as designed and if not I'll replace it.

Do you know what pump it is so I can read about it?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

I think this is it:
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/rule-...HfrxoCyubw_wcB
Old 07-27-2014, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Sooooo funny that this should come up...I was wondering the exact same thing today. We had the boat covered and the a/c on all day yesterday...when we came back, it smelled pretty funky down there. I did some searching, and found that a beer at the bottom of a case in my head had burst...so the case itself was wet, and most of the beer (warm and probably quickly stale) went down the drain. We ran the boat back to the ramp, and when we came off plane, there was a horrible smell coming out of the cabin...I'm guessing all that funky condensation and stale beer combined with whatever other nasty water was in that area of the boat was all mixing together. I knew there was a bilge down there, but couldn't remember how to activate it...now I know!
Old 07-27-2014, 07:23 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Mike, you will need to flush it out. Because of the complex angles down there, the bilge pump doesn't drain every last drop.

Do this:
Keep the Cabin Power switch turned off.
Take a shop vac, pull the hard plastic nozzle off the end of it, so you have only the flexible hose at the end. Hold the flexible hose over the end of through-hull fitting (of the step bilge pump). This will suck just about everything out from that area. I would take about 2 gallons of fresh water maybe with some good-smelly-stuff mixed in it (well diluted household cleanser or something), and pour it down the shower drain. Then go turn the shop vacuum on, and suck it out again.
"Rinse & Repeat" if necessary.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Turn on the switch at the galley panel that says "water pump". Dump some water in the shower and let me know how it goes.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Turn on the switch at the galley panel that says "water pump". Dump some water in the shower and let me know how it goes.
I'll try that, Pat, thanks for tip!

It'll be next weekend before I can report the findings back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.