Caught in a lot of rain >

Caught in a lot of rain

Notices

Caught in a lot of rain

Old 07-23-2016, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caught in a lot of rain

Hi - new to me 96 at 32' got caught in a surprise downpour. The deck has 2" of standing water. how is this water designed to exit the boat? I also suspect this has aftermarket flooring (it has a wavy texture, in my case white, glossy, and is made of a floor mica like composite. I do not see any form of drain and I didn't see a passageway under the bench.

I presume it is intended not to get wet, but it was destine to happen sometime. If there is no good exit through the boat, is the pump and sponge best method?
Old 07-23-2016, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

The deck? How can the deck have standing water? Do you mean the cockpit? Not trying to be a smart azz, just trying to understand?

Padraig
Old 07-23-2016, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

f you look you will see the center deck is lower a bit and the outer sections are raised.

This does two things. Gives it a different look and give the people seated at the couches more headroom. The older boats were much more pronounced.

Originally Posted by Padraig
The deck? How can the deck have standing water? Do you mean the cockpit? Not trying to be a smart azz, just trying to understand?

Padraig
Old 07-23-2016, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bad, I don't have this lingo thing down yet. yea, I guess I mean the cockpit...where you drive from and all of the sun'n is done - the sundeck
Old 07-23-2016, 09:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

Yep, cockpit.

I'm sure there's a way for water to drain down into the bilge but the drains must be blocked. If AT doesn't chime in soon with the definitive answer, I'd check carefully all round your rear lounge flooring. Drains are always to the stern of the boat (the blunt end, not the pointy end) probably one on either side and will drain down into the bilge and be pumped out by your auto bilge pumps. The drains are easily blocked by dirt, leaves etc. pull your rear lounge out and have a look.

Bigger boats, centre consoles and cruisers have self draining cockpits where the floor is always above sea level so they drain directly overboard. The bilge is lower down underneath the floor but I think most sports boat, the cockpit will drain into the bilge.

Hope you're not sinking again, good luck mate!

RR
Old 07-23-2016, 10:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

Most drains have a small screen on them to keep the muck away from the bilge pumps. They get blocked very easily. A few Google images, you're looking for something like these, likely tucked well away in the back corners, possibly under the lounge and out of sight.

RR
Attached Thumbnails Caught in a lot of rain-image.jpeg   Caught in a lot of rain-image.jpeg   Caught in a lot of rain-image.jpeg  

Old 07-24-2016, 01:02 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

My cockpit floor has 2 drains in the back corners. I suspect somebody replaced your original flooring and covered the drains.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Now that I understand, Griff is correct.

Originally Posted by Griff
My cockpit floor has 2 drains in the back corners. I suspect somebody replaced your original flooring and covered the drains.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by scottgjerdingen
My bad, I don't have this lingo thing down yet. yea, I guess I mean the cockpit...where you drive from and all of the sun'n is done - the sundeck
No problem, just was not sure what area you were talking about. FWIW, I believe that is called the cockpit sole.

Padraig