Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Active Thunder
37 AVH; 2 batteries; 2 battery switches... How does this thing work? >

37 AVH; 2 batteries; 2 battery switches... How does this thing work?

Notices

37 AVH; 2 batteries; 2 battery switches... How does this thing work?

Old 08-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default 37 AVH; 2 batteries; 2 battery switches... How does this thing work?

Continuing to have electrical glitches.

I have had a couple wires come loose when I can fix; and am working on.

Question now is about how the battery switches are wired. Does one battery switch feed the engines and one battery feed the rest of the accessories? I can't remember which I suspect something wrong with, but I believe it is the SB. If I have the Port switch set completely to OFF, and the SB switch set to either 1, ALL, or 2, I can't use any of my dash accessories and switches. They are all dead. Is this normal? Both batteries are charging. I can start both engines, and when ignition is on, both batteries are reading well on the Voltmeter guages on the dash. It appears as though I have to pull both batteries before I can remove the bulkhead inside the rear seat that the switches are mounted to, to check everything.

I realize my question is not clear, but really I am just looking for some insight as to how this all works.

Also, if I turn on more than 3 switches on my dash, they all start to glow, and most of them reverse polarity. (Things turned off turn on.) I did find a spade connector that came loose on the Blower switch, and have not tested things yet, as I have a couple other things I plan to touch up tomorrow.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-09-2004 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Re: 37 AVH; 2 batteries; 2 battery switches... How does this thing work?

I afraid I can't be much help but the glowing is likely a ground issue. I had a bad ground and mine did all kind of strange things.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:10 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Default Re: 37 AVH; 2 batteries; 2 battery switches... How does this thing work?

BF28,
Thanks. I did find a loose ground last night. I will fix it tonight. It is my SB switch that seems to be not functioning. Anyone else?
Old 08-10-2004, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I to have battery switch issues.
I have a 99 32' that seems to power the dash from the sb batt.
If I have the pt on position 2 and the sb on position 1, you would think they would be seperate from each other, but if I run one low on charge and try to start the side with low charge it pulls down the running side with full charge.
It seems to me that there is no way to isolate either side.
I like to run my stereo on one side and save the other side to start both engines, is this possible?
I have tried all battery positions with no luck.
Any chance of getting a wiring schematic?
Old 08-10-2004, 01:30 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian,

Call me and I'll tell you how I checked mine on the PQ.
Too much to write.
Bill 757 491 7666

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 08-10-2004, 02:15 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Bill,
Thanks. I will call you after I patch up the things I have apart at the moment.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:30 PM
Registered

Brain,

are the batteries grounded together? are you sure there is not a breaker between the dash and the batteries hidden somewhere?
Old 08-10-2004, 05:12 PM
Registered

Brian-
I hope you get all the Gremlins worked out soon. Some of us are headed up to Solomons this weekend for the Full Tilt Rally.
I have a Gremlin that I'm also working on, but if it ain't fixed by Friday, He'll be going with me...
Old 08-10-2004, 06:44 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Thanks everyone. I can't find any hidden breakers. (?)
I got the glow worked out. Had to rebuild a few daisy chains.

Now the rebirth of the gremlin in a new spot.
Prior to all this:
Turn on Auto Bilge Switch on dash. Auto Bilge Pumps activate. Light on dash switch out. When the Auto Bilge Pumps kick on, the light on the dash switch comes on, then goes off when the pump float switch deactivates.

Now:
Turn on Auto Bilge Switch on dash. Everything works as above, EXCEPT, the light on the dash is always on.

I don't get it. I did not change ANYTHING on this circuit. I have checked everything. I have swapped out the switch with another.

I liked the way it worked before, and while I can live with it now, I want the original way back. Any ideas?? Thanks.

As for the Battery Switches; still looking for answer on how that all works.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

pull the ground wire off the switch.

Quick Reply: 37 AVH; 2 batteries; 2 battery switches... How does this thing work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.