Searching for my first boat!!! >

Searching for my first boat!!!

Notices

Searching for my first boat!!!

Old 10-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searching for my first boat!!!

So as long as I can remember I have wanted a boat. I live in Michigan and although the summers are short lived I still find the justification in my head. So I have been searching for my first boat for about a year and a half. This past summer I spent time on alot of boats ranging from Baja's to Cigarettes, not to mention endless hours of research and boat shows. So to make a long story longer, I have found a happy median. I have set my sights on an Active Thunder. I am a little undecided on a 25 or 28. Will a 28 be to much boat for a first? I know I would like a single engine, being my first boat and all. I am not concerned with the speed issue, I am more focused on the control of the boat. O.K. so as the last part of my research and decision process, I wanted to ask a few of the more experienced boaters for their opinion. So, what do you think?

Since I live in Michigan I have a few months to make a decision and do some more research.

oh ya and where is the best place to find a used AT?
Old 10-08-2004, 03:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Default Re: Searching for my first boat!!!

As long as you have someone show you the ropes of boat handling you can start with any size you want. Twins are actually easier to handle aroudn the docks than a single. A 28' would not be too much boat at all especially if you boat on Lake Mich...it actually may not be enough after a while. Good luck and check out the clasiffieds on here for some deals.

Todd Kjell
Old 10-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have a 28 Active Thunder and it handles Lake Erie GREAT! I have gone out while others have stayed back at the dock. The 28 is a good all around boat; huge cabin, easy to trailer, easy to drive and easey to handle around the dock. If you have any questions about the 28 AT or want to se pics please feel free to contact me.
Chris
814-450-5529
[email protected]
Old 10-08-2004, 06:55 PM
Registered

i just sold my 25 and went to a 32 in my opinion i would buy a 32 if you can afford it, because if not like everyone you will wish you went bigger in a year or 2. the twin engine is much easier to manuver and the 32 takes the chop awsome, and has a big overnite cabin, there all great boats this is just my o2.

you might want to take a look at active thunder todds 32 best revenge awsome boat and a hell of a price.

and you made the right choice in active thunder ive been in them all and active thunder is tops in my book.

Last edited by rssteiny; 10-08-2004 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:50 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Great Choice!! I have a 25 Tantrum and it is an awesome boat. If I were you I would scoop up Todds 32.If I had the money it would be in my yard right now
Old 10-08-2004, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

KM, my first boat was 28 AT with twin 350s, im must say that it was the perfect boat to start with. Twins are easier to manuver around the dock, and you never have to worry about being broke down because your one and only engine went out. I owned it for a year and them moved up to a 32. if you have the pocket book for a 32 and a tow vehicale you would be fine with Todds 32. That is a great boat at a great price.

I would recomend a 28 AT to anyone wanting to get into boating.

Really deep free board and a true 28' boat. Good choice.

Randy Wild

Call me with any questions 314-420-2619
Old 10-09-2004, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm not an AT owner, but I do like them. I rode in Todd's boat at Lake of the Ozarks the summer of 03. It is a great riding boat. I agree with the others, go as large as your pocket book allows. And go twins if you can. If you are looking for keeping value (kind of an oxymoron for owning a boat ), I would think Todd's would keep the value.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,210 Likes on 524 Posts

Go for the 28. You will NOT be sorry.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:02 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Buy the boat you think can't afford and you'll be happy.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Wild
KM, my first boat was 28 AT with twin 350s, im must say that it was the perfect boat to start with. Twins are easier to manuver around the dock, and you never have to worry about being broke down because your one and only engine went out. I owned it for a year and them moved up to a 32. if you have the pocket book for a 32 and a tow vehicale you would be fine with Todds 32. That is a great boat at a great price.

I would recomend a 28 AT to anyone wanting to get into boating.

Really deep free board and a true 28' boat. Good choice.

Randy Wild

Call me with any questions 314-420-2619

I've actually got Randy's (then Jafo's) old 28'. It's been improved with full hydraulic steering, Isotta steering wheel, VHF, Magellan chartplotting GPS, modified swim platform, GPS speedo and a few other oddballs I can't remember. Basically about $9,000 in improvements.

It isn't officially for sale, but I would be willing to sell it so I could buy Todd's boat. I think learning with twins is great, it is much easier to manuver around the docks or other boats while rafting.

PM me if you're interested, once Todd's sells, mine is really off the market.

Andy

Quick Reply: Searching for my first boat!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.