Like Tree0Likes

Your Adrenaline!!!

Reply
Old 06-22-2008, 09:21 PM
  #11
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
berns29scarab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brick, NJ
Posts: 6,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
6 to 8 footer's are you talking about , at 90 mph pluss in a 30 footer .
they must have ben those lake 6 to 8 footer's
i dont think a 38 foot cig will run 90 mph pluss in real ocean 6 to 8 footer's .
i know if you look at that average lap speed of some of the bigger race boat's they dont even run that . in rough water
mike
i agree...i've lived at the Jersey Shore and boated here my whole life. and in KW 2 years ago a guys was saying the water today was HUUUUUUUGE...6-8's...i happened to be out there that afternoon on a jetski and it was an EAST COAST of JERSEY 2-4...
__________________
Bernie Neuhaus Sales and Brokerage Mgr
Marine Unlimited
732-539-5882
www,teammarineunlimited.com
berns29scarab is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:39 PM
  #12
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Georgia
My Boats: 2006 Custom 30
Posts: 292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
6 to 8 footer's are you talking about , at 90 mph pluss in a 30 footer .
they must have ben those lake 6 to 8 footer's
i dont think a 38 foot cig will run 90 mph pluss in real ocean 6 to 8 footer's .
i know if you look at that average lap speed of some of the bigger race boat's they dont even run that . in rough water
mike
Well that is what you get for thinking...

Check out 2006 Miami Boat show Poker Run video by Stu Jones for starters. If you would like more footage you are welcome to stop by my house and I will be happy to show you or you can ask around. If you would like to hangout this next Key West trip to experience it yourself just give me a call...678-315-6428 and I will be more than happy to show you the way. Do not talk what you do no know man...it does not look good!

Jonathan
JonMangual is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:41 PM
  #13
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Georgia
My Boats: 2006 Custom 30
Posts: 292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns29scarab View Post
i agree...i've lived at the Jersey Shore and boated here my whole life. and in KW 2 years ago a guys was saying the water today was HUUUUUUUGE...6-8's...i happened to be out there that afternoon on a jetski and it was an EAST COAST of JERSEY 2-4...
Dude...Hooked on Phonics could work for you...

Do not judge what you do not know
JonMangual is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:28 PM
  #14
Registered
 
jhiguy377's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lake Oswego OR
My Boats: 377 Scarab
Posts: 989
Default

I guess that I'd have to see that poker run video; sounds pretty wild; I suppose that a lot would depend on the spacing of the swells. Really kind of unimaginable up here in the Pacific NW, would be a recipe for spearing and sinking. - Jeff
jhiguy377 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:40 PM
  #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 9,495
Default

I was at the '85 Grand Haven race where Al Copeland's 18,000 pound, 50-foot Popeyes aluminum Cougar cat barely beat Tom Gentry's 48-foot wooden cougar with an average speed of 63 MPH. Tom's Cougar went 160 on top in light chop. Those waves were real 8's.

I'm calling TOTA on those numbers Jon.
Chris Sunkin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:18 PM
  #16
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Georgia
My Boats: 2006 Custom 30
Posts: 292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin View Post
I was at the '85 Grand Haven race where Al Copeland's 18,000 pound, 50-foot Popeyes aluminum Cougar cat barely beat Tom Gentry's 48-foot wooden cougar with an average speed of 63 MPH. Tom's Cougar went 160 on top in light chop. Those waves were real 8's.

I'm calling TOTA on those numbers Jon.
Sorry for the mis-information guys. Now that you all have shed some expert light on the matter I must be mistaken because there is no way those could have been 6-8's out there now that I have the expert opinions from you of...

- In 1985 the Popeye's boat only ran 63 in "real 8's" and technology has not changed since then.

- In New Jersey somebody claimed to run in big water from the Keys but an expert proved on a Jet Ski it was only 2-4's

- A Cigarette expert knows that a 38 Top Gun could not run 90 in 6-8's so a 30 footer could not either.

I will have to go back and review my facts again...sorry for the confusion and any wasted time spent posting to this thread from you all and thank you for helping me realize my mistakes. I have only been in the Poker Run scene for 7 years and I have got a lot to learn and a long ways to go to catch up. Please wish me luck. I will see you guys on the water. Boat safely.

Jonathan
JonMangual is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:22 PM
  #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 9,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMangual View Post
- In 1985 the Popeye's boat only ran 63 in "real 8's" and technology has not changed since then.

Technology has advanced greatly. However, no technology presently exists that allows any of us to circumvent the laws of physics. What you've suggested has been proven time and time again to be a physical impossibility in any boat of that size and pretty much any boat at all.

The performance boating world has a prolific level of big talk and pure, unadulterated BS permeating it. This forum is one of the few places that none of that exists or is permitted to exist. When it pops up, it gets squashed quick. The lesser-informed learn lots and the big talkers and BS'ers get shown the door.

I would respectfully submit to you that this could be a place where you could learn many things that will definitely make your boating experience more enjoyable and if you pay attention, alot safer. There is a collective base of knowledge on here that's almost inconceivable, including a handful of guys who were some of the founders of the sport. Maybe you got poked kinda' hard for your post. That's probably because you're not the first to over-estimate on this topic.
Chris Sunkin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:55 PM
  #18
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,504
Default

Note to self: Gino averaged 100 in flat water last weekend in the Bimini Race in a 44 MTI I seem to recall.

It seemed rough to stand a 47 Apache on its azz but 90 MPH looks hard to do:
http://www.flpowerboat.com/gallery/t...s.php?album=16
http://www.flpowerboat.com/gallery/d...bum=16&pos=152
apache 47
http://www.flpowerboat.com/gallery/d...lbum=16&pos=63
adrenaline

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 06-23-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Jupiter Sunsation is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:08 PM
  #19
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Georgia
My Boats: 2006 Custom 30
Posts: 292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin View Post
Technology has advanced greatly. However, no technology presently exists that allows any of us to circumvent the laws of physics. What you've suggested has been proven time and time again to be a physical impossibility in any boat of that size and pretty much any boat at all.

The performance boating world has a prolific level of big talk and pure, unadulterated BS permeating it. This forum is one of the few places that none of that exists or is permitted to exist. When it pops up, it gets squashed quick. The lesser-informed learn lots and the big talkers and BS'ers get shown the door.

I would respectfully submit to you that this could be a place where you could learn many things that will definitely make your boating experience more enjoyable and if you pay attention, alot safer. There is a collective base of knowledge on here that's almost inconceivable, including a handful of guys who were some of the founders of the sport. Maybe you got poked kinda' hard for your post. That's probably because you're not the first to over-estimate on this topic.
Thank you for the insight Chris. I am glad there are people like you, with an amazing knowledge and insight of the industry, to police the threads for liars and BS'ers. It was great conversing with you and I am thankful for the insight. I actually think I am now dumber because of it. See you on the forums and in the water. Take care and safe boating!

Jonathan
JonMangual is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:13 PM
  #20
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Georgia
My Boats: 2006 Custom 30
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation View Post
Note to self: Gino averaged 100 in flat water last weekend in the Bimini Race in a 44 MTI I seem to recall.

It seemed rough to stand a 47 Apache on its azz but 90 MPH looks hard to do:
http://www.flpowerboat.com/gallery/t...s.php?album=16
http://www.flpowerboat.com/gallery/d...bum=16&pos=152
apache 47
http://www.flpowerboat.com/gallery/d...lbum=16&pos=63
adrenaline
We were out there with the Apache, the Outerlimits, and the Baia yacht. It was rough as hell...a buddy of mine broke up his 47 Fountain in the same stuff. There were only three of us out there for the Video shoot that day...it was nutz!!

Jonathan
JonMangual is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Sick Nordic
General Boating Discussion
59
11-21-2006 04:25 PM
JonMangual
General Boating Discussion
12
04-21-2006 08:57 AM
Ron P
OPA/The Jersey Boyz
0
04-18-2006 04:32 PM
IRONMAN
Pantera
13
04-17-2006 12:14 AM
Rottiguy
General Boating Discussion
9
08-27-2005 04:25 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.