Important Question for Advantage Rob >

Important Question for Advantage Rob

Notices

Important Question for Advantage Rob

Old 03-21-2002, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Important Question for Advantage Rob

How many 12 oz. cans fit in the passenger side cooler?..please leave room for requisite amount of ice...TIA Somethin tells me you know the answer LOL --- John
Old 03-21-2002, 04:01 PM
Charter Member #9/ Moderator
Charter Member

I know you asked Advantage Rob, but I can tell you in the 34 Offshore I could easily fit a case in there with ice. Only problem is the ice will melt faster than you can drink.

Go to this site www.american-outdoors.com I purchased one of their 24 pack soft sided coolers and put it in the cooler compartment. Fit perfectly. I'll let you know how it works after this weekend. I'll be heading to Havasu for a test run.
Old 03-21-2002, 04:25 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply... I only asked Rob cause not only would he give me an answer on the amount of cans, but there's a good chance he would email me a CAD diagram showing how to properly position the cans ...LOL --- John
Old 03-21-2002, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

LOL
Old 03-22-2002, 09:48 AM
Registered

Those Damn engineer's huh!!! Dont make me build you a better mousetrap!!!! Your answer is 6 cases, and 3 bags of ice, and you can stuff a few fifths in ther too if you're carefull!! Ok you asked for it, I'll warn you first, the cooler is not meant to hold a ton of stuff, mine chipped up out in lake erie with about 6 cases in it. The constant slamming got to it. I think it was a combination of cold ice, and thich gel painted in there, but it was still fine, just ugly and beat up looking inside of it. It just wasnt tough enough, and I didn't like the design so I cut a wood bottom for mine and re-glassed it, the drain was about an 1" from the bottom, so I cut a wood pattern out with room to get the drain plug in and out, and planed angles on everything to pitch the water to the drain plug, which sat in it's own little area, lower than everything else, then I carefully puttied, and glassed it all in , and it rocks now!! Here's a drawing of the pattern I made up smart ass!!! LOL!!! Anyway, it takes two cases to fill the bottom, and you can stack them 3 high and still get 3 bags of ice in there. The way mine came was designed in a way that pitched all the water to the rear of the cooler, and then drain wasn't at the bottom, and the the water would be an inch deep after draining it, and a totally suck to get it all out. it was either shop vac, or bailing cup and towels, now pull the plug and it drains really good, with only a small amount of water in the circular drain reservoir area, then and a quick wipe down and it's clean and dry. I was getting a small culture growing in it, before I changed it if I didn't have it fully dried before. See I told you I was an A$$hole!!!
Attached Thumbnails Important Question for Advantage Rob-diagram.jpg  
Old 03-22-2002, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Default But how long.....

does the ice last? I can get quite a few cases in mine but it isn't worth it since the ice melts in a couple of hours. That's why I inserted that insulated bag that I bought. With the bag I plan on using TechniIce. I know I'll get a little condensation and hopefully I'll just wipe that out when I'm done. If not, the bag comes out in about 1/2 a minute. Just kinda curious, you have to remember I live in AZ and Ice doesn't last long no matter what you put it in.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:53 AM
Registered

Default 6 cases!!!!! ???

Rob,

I'm disappointed... you only "re-glassed" it. I would have at least expected you to construct another insulated Cooler within the cooler to better keep temperatures cold... and I would have expected some Space Shuttle Kevlar material no less.... Terribly disappointed. Another example of years and years of Colluge Edubication gone to waste --- John
Old 03-22-2002, 01:44 PM
Registered

I really never have any melting problams, I mean it melts, when it's 90 degrees out, but the water stays ice cold, and there are usually a few more coolers on board with extra bags of ice, but everything stays pretty ice cold all day usually.

The drain area works well, it's about a 8" diameter, and an inch deep, and everything drains into it, works like a charm, and hey, it's a constant improvement process.
Old 03-23-2002, 06:28 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default melting cooler

Ok guys, not a 32 or even a 34 here but my 28 cat also has a built in cooler. Wish they would have built in some type of insulation with them
Here is what I have done and what it holds.

I have lined all sides and the bottom to help prevent what Rob has had happen with our midwest version of techni ice. Same stuff just different name.
I have 3 sizes. 2 of them have large 'cubes' and one has small cubes. These are frozen natural cubes of ice in a surgical plastic for flexability. I line the bottom with one sheet of small and then wrap a sheet of the large standing up around the edges. Put 2 more small sheets in the bottom to 'hold' up the sides. Put one more sheet of the large around the sides, for a total of 5 used frozen sheets. This is what i remmeber having the most of at any givin time:
2 6/packs of blastic bottles of Mountain Dew, one case of the small Evian bottles-like 10 or 12 oz, 2 4/packs of the small Powerade bottles, and at least 3-4 5lb bags of ice. I too have a soft sided cooler that states to hold a 24 pack AND ice that I only keep for if guest bring GLASS bottles along with. This softy is storage for 2-3 more bags of ice if on a long boating day.
With this the ice will be all used up in one day in Havasu but the water in the cooler stays REAL cold. And the Techni ice helps impact absortion.

Last edited by MnFastBoat; 03-23-2002 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-23-2002, 10:23 AM
Registered

I think it's one of my favorite things when out rafting with a big group, someone I dont know will be on my boat for some reason, and I'll offer them a beer, and tell them "right on the front passenger side", they are like huh, then I tell them open up the door, and they are like WHOA@!@!!#$R%$ That's F'in cool!!! and another one to now remember the ADVANTAGE name!!!! they are finally getting to be known around here, it's taken 3 years of me and a few other advantage's, but it's happening!! OSO is helping too, there's alot of us from around here on oso. I was thinking of lining mine with a rubber mat material, but that would make it tough to clean, I could glass in wood on the sides, but that would take up space, and that's not good, I guess if anyone orders a new one, have the factory spray an adhesive insulation on the outside of it, I think adding a rubber mat to the bottom of the door would help. I just keep mine cleaned out, and I always fill it with all the ice I can, for people to make mixed drinks with. It's like a big moving party with loud exhaust!!! What could be more fun.