Question about shifter on Victory 32 >

Question about shifter on Victory 32

Notices

Question about shifter on Victory 32

Old 07-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about shifter on Victory 32

Hey guys, I'm new here and am looking (and drooling/dreaming) at a 2003 32 Victory. Everything about this boat is great but one question is: the shifter looks backward. You push forward for reverse and pull back for drive. Maybe it just shows my ignorance, but is this normal? Not that it is that much of a deal, just curious. Hopefully, I will be a proud owner of a 32 Victory soon.

Last edited by CrownHawg; 07-29-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check your props

Did you get this squared away? Sounds like your props may need flip-flopped. I also have a 32 Victory w the same power package.Bought it last year w, 90 hours on her and just turned over 200. We love the boat! What props are you spinning?
Old 08-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Registered

Wow! I never thought of that. You mean you can actually switch the props to reverse them? I always thought the throttle action for reverse was much smaller than forward. Now you really got me wondering. I was actually looking to see if maybe the linkage was hooked up backwards.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:03 PM

I will email you pic of my props on the boat in the next day or two. They are counter rotating engines and if you have the props on the wrong side the controlls work in reverse. the throttle throw is the same regardless of the gear you ar in. I bet if you put the port prop on the starboard drive and the starboard prop on the port drive your problem is solved. I know this b/c when I bought my 32 it was a bank repo and did not have any props. When I got my new props I had a 50/50 shot of getting it right...I guessed wrong and damn near launched my new boat into the bed of my truck...If you ever need to take the rear plate of outdrive you can see the linkage plate that rides on the steel ball keeping it in fwd/netral/rev is the same in all gears. Good luck!
Old 08-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Registered

I'm sure that is it. My boat was a repo as well. At some time, I'm sure someone took the props off and didn't put them on correctly. Thanks so much for the heads up, dummy me was thinking, "damn! I'm gonna have to pull the shifter off and switch them". HA! One other problem though, the starboard throttle is really loose. It will fall back while the port throttle stays in place. Is there an adjustment on the friction of these? I'm hoping it is just an adjustment. If not, it's got to be a detent or something small.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Registered
VIP Member

That should be the problem. Props normally spin in. Bet yours are going out.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:31 PM

If it's falling out of gear my bet is the detent. very easy to fix...drain the drive and pull the back plate off the drive. There is a stainless steel ball that is in a spring loaded collar. They wear out and when they do you will pop out of gear. It is a $50 fix. They also get corroded, when you change the drive oil it makes sense to pull the rear plate and clean / grease the ball and linkage.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Registered

No, actually the shifters are quite stiff. It's the starboard throttle. The port throttle feels just right, but the sb will fall back if I don't keep my hand on it at all times. Thanks guys so much for your help.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:50 AM

Not sure about that... but now that you mention it my stb throttle will fall slowly sometimes as well. Let me know if you figure out a way to tighten it up a little...
Old 08-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Registered
VIP Member

My port side throttle will slowly drop. Especially if I hit large swell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.