Like Tree0Likes

28' Sport Cat???

Old 07-25-2013, 11:23 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2003 28 Eliminator Daytona TD
Default 28' Sport Cat???

Looking at getting into a cat. Found a deal on a 2000 28' Sport Cat with a 575sci. Any goods or bads about Advantage cats? I currently have a 03 28' Victory and love it, just want to go faster & a cat seems to be the way to go.How does the Sport Cat compare to similar boats as far as handling, rough water, speed, etc.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:26 AM
Registered

Still thinking about a 28 Sport Cat. Anyone have one or had experience comparing them?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:36 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2001 LAVEYCRAFT 29 OFFSHORE

I have had a chance to drive the 28' sport cat and the 22' sport cat. One of my best friends owned the 28' so I spent a lot of time with this boat. I can tell you that they tend to need a lot of power to work. Way more power than other cats and they will still not be as fast. The sport cats are beautiful boats but there are much better cats out there. Do your research and make sure you drive one first.
I love Advantage boats but if you want to go fast you may have to leave the brand.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2000 Talon 37 Former Out of Bounds

How fast do you want to go? There are a lot of great deals out there.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:45 AM
Registered

I have realized the speed issue with advantage, trust me! I think I want to get into a single engine cat for a while so insurance will be easier when I get into a twin cat. Right now I would like to be up by the 85-95 range on speed. Of course I want to be in the triple digits, but want to build a little cat experience first. My boating bud has a 28' Force offshore with a whippled 540 & it runs right around 90. Would like to at least hang for a while if you know what I mean! Been looking at Daytona's too. I really like the 3100 American Off shores with the cabin but can't find any in my price range. Maybe an older TD Daytona? Heading to Havasu in a few days & plan on looking at a few there, including a Sport Cat, was just looking for some comparison. Thanks for the replies!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 2000 Talon 37 Former Out of Bounds

My Jag will be in Havasau for Desert Storm. Look me up for a ride. Great deal on a fast stable cat. Insurance is expensive on all cats, big or small. Doug
Old 03-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Registered

Thanks for the offer of the ride Doug! Unfortunately, I have to work during DS this year. I get 6 months a year off, you would think I would be able to attend DS or LOTO? Not this year!. Good lookin boat though!
Old 03-17-2014, 12:54 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

My Boats: 1999 Advantage 28' Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROR View Post
Still thinking about a 28 Sport Cat. Anyone have one or had experience comparing them?
well, just a little experience here on the 28. However mine is a twin not a single as your looking for.
Mine is a 99, bought it new and have kept it very stock.
Added a center tab, was a must due to the twin bb's
I only know of one other twin, and that was the Dentists's boat built before mine. Do some search on here, it has been talked about.
His had Merc 600's and last I knew or remember it was above 120mph
As for my speed, Honestly the best I have ever had out of mine was 93.7 on gps across Lake Pepin here in MN/WI
That was stock 502's, including exhaust Only add on if you want to call it that is air cleaners and mufflers.
Was full of gas, wife and I with goods for the day. Spinning Hydro 27's right out of the box with nothing done to them.
Basically everyday running I can hit mid 80's with 28 bravos that are 15 years old. Yes I am the original owner with the original props!
as one had said, and you agree, Advantage is not the fastest one out here. But I feel it is very respectable for the money. Compare mine to any other as I have, one person said his 28 Daytona runs faster, and it did/does, but he also had/has $70,000 more into it! Thus it BETTER! run faster
I am looking at putting mine up for sale to go into a bigger boat, thinking at least 32 if not up to 40' so there will be another one to look at this year.

I personally do not think one can go wrong with one, hard to find and very well kept boats!

As for insurance, I have had mine with State Farm since I hooked it up in Havasu and brought it home!

Last edited by MnFastBoat; 03-17-2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: oops looked ay my speedo photo and it was 93.7 not 94.7 :)
Old 03-18-2014, 07:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: 06 28' Advantage Sport Cat, whippled 525

Hi TROR, I met you in havasu last month in steamboat, was in the red and white 22 sport cat. Was going to let you know if you stick with advantage, would recommend staying above 05, they redesigned the hull and they work much better! My 06 28 sport cat runs in the mid 90's with a whippled 502. Good luck boat shopping, looking to be a lot of options.