31 AO engines moved forward, thoughts?

Old 10-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TunnelVision3100 View Post
If I can ask, why are you saying that? DOes the Tunnel tab make the boat real loose? To be honest this boat of mine makes me nervous enough as it is, I dont need any more fear, can you fill me in a little in regards the the tunnel tab?
That's why I recommended that you call Sparky and get the info first hand. I am NOT saying that you should not consider a tunnel tab. By the way, Sparky is not the only Cat builder to have told me to NOT use a large hydro type of tunnel tab.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TunnelVision3100 View Post
In regards to the Chris Cat, the center of gravity point is alot different, the fuel tanks are right under the driver seat and passanger, where the AO they are in the back of the boat.

Do you mean that the fuel tanks in the Chris are in the sponsons, with the front leading edge just forward of the front seat? AO fuel tanks have them in the back of the boat? Any pics of these?
Old 10-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Registered

In a AO they are in the sponsons. They start at the rear bulkhead and run forward to the step down hole in the floor to get into the cuddy. 2 52 gallon tanks. I might be wrong but i thought a Chris Cat is the same. I know Greencards are the same size I guess I am not sure of the location.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Registered

yup thats the way mine our too but th3 1992 ao that i have that im re doin has 4 fuel tanks 2 in front sponsons im goin to use them as ballast tanks with pump to drain water and pickups to fill them when running its goin to be on 5's and boxes with crashboxes 632 blown big chief head tall deck merlins should run the number 1.24 gears
Old 10-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Registered

that sounds like you are gettin serious....

Don
Old 10-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ROTAX454 View Post
That's why I recommended that you call Sparky and get the info first hand. I am NOT saying that you should not consider a tunnel tab. By the way, Sparky is not the only Cat builder to have told me to NOT use a large hydro type of tunnel tab.
Cosmetics aside, has anyone considered bridging the sponson fronts to pack air through the tunnel rather than spilling over the deck? It seems these boats could benefit from a bit more aerodynamic lift over hydrodynamic and not have to worry about the trip effect associated with a rear tab.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by AO31 View Post
Cosmetics aside, has anyone considered bridging the sponson fronts to pack air through the tunnel rather than spilling over the deck? It seems these boats could benefit from a bit more aerodynamic lift over hydrodynamic and not have to worry about the trip effect associated with a rear tab.
Interesting subject and more reason why Sparky is the man to talk to. He knows aton about this cat size and design. And yes, the trip effect is associated with this size/design cat. A matter not to be taken lightly. Especially not at the speeds obtained by some of these cats today.

Bottom line is: I want to report to work on Monday morning. or I wish for my friends to hear from me, and not about me.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Registered

Question

Okay, now I need specifics. lets all compare ACTUAL results. maybee we can all learn. My Chris is setup with motors way forward and has SSM3's and crashboxes. I believe the cg is slightly more forward than needed. I have driven thru the porpoise but when loaded down it will not. The props spin in(more bow lift) 32x17's and 1.5 gearing, x is .75 above and gps speed is [email protected] I only have 4.5 lbs boost 509's dyno at 736hp . A side note my props are about as far back from the transome as a bravo on a 12in box. my slip #'s are so good I am afraid to change anything. In the roughest water it flys FLAT and even though it has a hop it never gets loose or wild feeling. tsteph and I have talked about this at length and I am interested in everyones comments. I believe boxes would allow my boat to carry the nose better when loaded.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Registered

boxes and more boost andy you know what to do

Quick Reply: 31 AO engines moved forward, thoughts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.