Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > American Offshore
How would a real windshield look on a 3100? >

How would a real windshield look on a 3100?

Notices

How would a real windshield look on a 3100?

Old 07-19-2012, 12:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by feline frenzy
no designs yet,waiting for interior to finish up than i gotta take to shop for them to see it. i did stop in toledo when i was bringing my boat home a few weeks ago and had it looked at and the guy at allied plastics idea was to form the bottom to the inside angle and cold form the sheild back towards cockpit than add a forward facing lip to the top to direct more air flow away from face. the sheild would run to the outside edges and round off like nor-tech does on their cats. from the peak of the fairing the height would be only 8" above,that way i could still see over it or duck behind. but i sit lower in the boat im guessing than those of you that use stand up bolsters vs. my sit down buckets?
Sounds like the Allied Plastics guy may have it figured out. I knew from the angle of the fairing that it was gonna be hard to get one to look right AND keep the wind off as well.

FF another question is how far back along the sides would you want to go? I think a nice light taper from the front to at least halfway between the front bolsters and the bench would work.

Also what material? Is Lexan difficult to keep clear and clean?
Old 07-19-2012, 07:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
Sounds like the Allied Plastics guy may have it figured out. I knew from the angle of the fairing that it was gonna be hard to get one to look right AND keep the wind off as well.

FF another question is how far back along the sides would you want to go? I think a nice light taper from the front to at least halfway between the front bolsters and the bench would work.

Also what material? Is Lexan difficult to keep clear and clean?
I would really like to see what Allied has in mind. To me, keeping the Old School look would have the panel with NO side wrap. New look (I agree with you) would have a nice small taper towards the rear.

Polycarbonate (lexan) is available with a scratch resistant coating. You are correct. It is soft and scratches easily (without the coating). As far as visual clarity, I have no expertise in that area.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the guy from allied had no wrap on it,just rounding outside edge. i'm taking it to solas plastics to get his ideas next week,and he's alot closer than toledo. but yes lexan was the material,coated and to clean it you only use pure carnuba wax. thats it. same as all your motorcycle windsheilds and all the harley guys told my nothing but carnuba. and they've gone years without scratching theirs? but i'd like it to have a slight taper to the rear.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Registered

Thumbs up windshield

Keep on this guys, I like the sound of it. Even if the windshield was pretty short and directed most of the air I would be in and 2 others would also......as long as they look good
Old 07-21-2012, 12:38 AM
Banned

I just had the idea of laying a 2' or 4' metal straight-edge ruler on the fairing(with something underneath it to not scratch the paint)and have somebody raise it to where you want it while you're sitting in the bolster. Then the windscreen shop will know how tall to make it.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Banned

"...but i sit lower in the boat im guessing than those of you that use stand up bolsters vs. my sit down buckets?" felinefrenzy

3100 is a sitdown boat. I've never seen one with standup bolsters.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Registered

i'm taking it to solas plastics to get his ideas next week
Hey Gary, What's up with the windscreen project. We are all interested in how your windscreen product turned out. Details & pics, please?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Registered

Sorry guys.i focused every sec to get boat in water before summer ended.and im glad i did.shes awesome.ill get back to windshield asap.wife wants one bad! Bahaha
Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry guys.i focused every sec to get boat in water before summer ended.and im glad i did.shes awesome.ill get back to windshield asap.wife wants one bad! Bahaha
How about some finished pics of that bad boy! the paint is incredible! Thx.

Bob
Old 09-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Registered

bob,thanks. head over to awesome thread,lots of pics there for you to drool over!lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.