Looking for a Scout? >

Looking for a Scout?

Notices

Looking for a Scout?

Old 10-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Looking for a Scout?

As the title says, I want to start looking for a Scout. I'm 20 years old, and a 36' Warrior is a bit out of my reach right now. In a few years I should be there though. Probably will want to spend around $100k on it, then do the rest of the work myself.

I'm just not sure what I want to look for yet. I'm not even sure I know what I NEED to look for. I keep a close eye on the classifieds here, and boattrader.com. It's almost sad how many times I check up on them during the week.

I've done a lot of researching, but still don't know of any changes they made on these boats. Anyone care to educate me? What's the top speed on one of these boats with big power? I would guess the desired setup is an outboard?

I see the factory recommended power was around 250HP. But I've seen some with big ol' Mercury power.

Is this doable? How much do they weigh?

Sorry for all the questions. I'll continue my searching, and see what else I can dig up. With any luck, I can pick one of these up soon during the off season.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Looking for a Scout?-86scout2.jpg  

Last edited by Bad Ass TA WS6; 10-16-2005 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:31 PM
JnT
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Looking for a Scout?

Look on boattrader.com and ebay. OSO member IKE had one for sale several months back that is NICE.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:33 PM
JnT
Registered

Here is a Scout by Century.
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/3/81039233.htm
Old 10-16-2005, 08:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JnT
I was just looking at that one. So that is a century made boat? How can you tell? It's advertised as an Apache, so I figured it was Saccenti built. That one is nice, and cheap too! I'd just have to deep 6 that Johnson and get some Mercury power on there.

Rob
Old 10-16-2005, 08:51 PM
JnT
Registered

PMed my number. Easier to talk than type!
Old 10-16-2005, 09:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JnT
PMed my number. Easier to talk than type!
Yes, I suppose it is. I have so many questions however, I don't really know where to begin?

Weight, different makers/molds, years, how fast , different fairings (I've seen some glass).

I want an Apache made boat. A Century just won't do, what's the difference?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:30 PM
JnT
Registered

First was Challenger 21 and Shadow 21 in the late 70's. George Linder designed the hull. Bob Saccenti rigged a Shadow race cat for George and became friends.
At the time Bobby had worked with Don Aronow of Cigarette and started his own company called Race Headquarters. Bob used the Linder hull maybe tweaked it some to his taste and did his own deck. The Scout 21/22 was born.
George Linder sold rights to the 21 to Hammond and Superboat.
Today look at Superboat,Activator,Intimidator,Tuff, etc for modern hulls similar to the Apache Scout.
There are many more I just can't remember them all.
If you like GTO's, Chevelle's etc from the 60's you are old school and need an old heavy boat that rides good. Apache,Shadow and Challenger from the 70's and 80's.
If you would rather have a new vette or Jap tuner car get a new hull. Intimidator would be my pick.(See Camden SOB race) but Superboat builds them as well as Activator and Tuff virtually the same hull but different deck.
For a modern Apache Scout with the same deck see rbr2328 here on OSO. He can build you an old school Scout with modern matierials. He has the 3rd generation molds.
Lots of choices. Depends on your budget too.
This info is what I've picked up from players in the industry at the time. Anyone that knows different please correct me if I'm wrong. Jim
Old 10-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Registered

Cool! Always nice to hear some background info! Like I said, I'm 20 years old, so this will be my first boat. I've been messing around with built Sea Doos for the past couple years. Time to step it up now that I am starting to have the money it takes to own an Apache.

I've got my heart dead set on a 36' though, and have for the last 2 years. I want to master one of these first, then step up to run with the big dogs.

I guess I haven't thought about budget yet. I'm not looking to go overboard on my first boat. I saw that white/blue and yellow Scout on boattrader.com for $40k. That's not something I'm looking at paying for a 21/22 foot boat right now.

But that white and red Century thats listed right now, looks pretty cool. It's cheap, but needs some work. It's always hard to tell from pictures. It doesn't help that I'm not exactly in boating central up here in New Hampshire.

I want a boat with some weight, so I can do pretty decently in the big chop on Lake Winnepesauke up here. I want it to run pretty quick though too. What's the preferred setup, a transom mounted OB?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:52 PM
JnT
Registered

Originally Posted by Bad Ass TA WS6
But that white and red Century thats listed right now, looks pretty cool. It's cheap, but needs some work. It's always hard to tell from pictures. It doesn't help that I'm not exactly in boating central up here in New Hampshire.
Have you been to ScreamandFly.com yet?

Look into SOB's (single outboards)
There are lots out there to choose from way cheaper than that Century.

Last edited by JnT; 10-16-2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:01 PM
JnT
Registered

Almost forgot. Go to http://www.sharkeymarine.com Tim is heading up the SOB movement for OPA not far from you. Contact him if you want to race next year with whatever Single Outboard you choose.He has been listing a few 21's a few months ago.

Quick Reply: Looking for a Scout?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.