dumb question >

dumb question

Notices

dumb question

Old 05-28-2006, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dumb question

OKay this boat has 2 electric fuel pumps, Do I have to run these all the time or just on start up? Guys at innovation did not know but they did not have them on other than start up and then they shut them down and the boat ran on its own mechanical fuel pumps on the engine blocks. Sorry for all the dumb questions but this boat is really way above and beyond the baja I used to own and I dont want to do anything dumb to F it up. Anyone?
Thanks guys!
J
Old 05-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: dumb question

I leave mine on...."Back-ups" in case a Mech fails....You dont get a second chance with blower motors !
Old 05-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run the boat on mechanical pumps, then before I am getting on the throttles and running positive boost I turn the electric pumps on so I don't go into a lean condition and melt the engines. I would guess under 5 pounds of fuel pressure would provide a lean condition.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Registered

Oh okay, so then thats fine, its just pushing fuel to the mechanical pumps, but if the mechanical fails the electric fuel pumps will still provide enough fuel to keep running regardless? More or less redundancy then. Now with the 2 fuel tanks, do you guys prefer to run one engine off of the nose tank and one off the belly tank or do you just run both off of one tank and empty it and then switch? I would think the nose tank is what you would want to empty out first to lighten up the front so trimming the boat is easier as that front "ballast" tank gets lighter or do I not have to worry about that much since the engines are staggered and it will hopefully fly straight regardless of the fuel in the front as opposed to the belly tank?
Sorry I hate to sound dumb but the baja had one tank, no fuel switches, no electric pumps, no sea strainers, no nothing, God that boat was bare. LOL I dont want to blow anything up and I want to know what the best way to run this thing is.
Thanks, appreciate the help!!!
J
Old 05-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Registered

oh and how do you know when its "loading up" and you have to pop the throttles a little in Neutral to prevent it fouling out and dying on me? Will it start bucking and sounding like crap?
J
Old 05-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayl13
oh and how do you know when its "loading up" and you have to pop the throttles a little in Neutral to prevent it fouling out and dying on me? Will it start bucking and sounding like crap?
J
Once they do that...It's to late..You already fouled some plugs.. You will get a "feel" for it. With the Trans you can idle alot higher & reduce the problems.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jay, I was told that you need to run the electric helper pumps because if the are off, they could potentially be a restriction to your fuel flow.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 157 Likes on 54 Posts

Does this mean the Apache will see the water tomorrow?
Old 05-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Registered

Im trying like hell here!
Old 05-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

We have both mechanical and electric fuel pumps as well. Before starting the boat after it has been sitting overnight or longer, I run the electric pumps just until the fuel pressure gages come up to normal pressure. Then I turn them off and start the boat with just the mechanical pumps on the block supplying fuel. I run the boat with the electric pumps off until I get up around 4800 rpm. Then I switch the electric pumps on to keep the fuel pressure up. If you have fuel pressure gages, watch them and they will tell you when you need the electric pumps on to increase the fuel pressure.

Quick Reply: dumb question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.