Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

2002 Apache Brave-business-end.jpg

2002 Apache Brave-interior.jpg

2002 Apache Brave-motors.jpg

2002 Apache Brave-port-front-seat.jpg
Old 06-24-2011, 07:14 AM
Registered

I am wondering what speeds other 28 owners are reaching?
I have seen low 70s with 1/2 tank and 6 people with almost no chop. 82/83 with 3 people 5/8 tank in lake winnebago with a slight chop( 12" to 18"). The boat likes to porpoise at low speeds, I have to use the tabs and keep the drive tucked in at lower speeds. Any more input would help greatly appreciated.
Greg
Old 06-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Its normal to have to make those adjustments when you slow down to slower speeds. When I'm driving I typically just touch the drives up a notch or two after I'm on plane and leave them there. The drives don't need to be raised much at all. For 28ft it is an extrememly forgiving boat. You may be triming to high if its causing a big porpoise at slower speeds. I don't use the tabs much, mostly just to get on plane and then I lift them all the way up. The balance will change with the slightest weight modifications. My boat was balanced much better after I went from aluminum heads to stock cast iron heads. Thats only 2-400lbs difference, but the porpoise was significant with the aluminum heads. You could try putting some sandbags in the bilge......the composite layup may have thrown the balance off a little. I know they are lighter boats.

Might be a good idea to cover up your drives and tab indicators just so you can begin to "feel" the boats hull without confusing yourself about the setting of your tabs/drives. Once you can feel the hull you can adjust it on the fly by instinct without looking at your gauges. When you get on plane and start getting up to speed just barely tap the drives up until the vibration is reduced and the nose starts to loosen up. Then leave your settings there. Trust the hull, it doesn't need a lot of correcting once your up on plane.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 06-24-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

very cool and great speeds with stock motors! They are great boats.
It would be neat to find out the weight of that one -- seems like it must be considerably lighter than my 91 was.

Congrats ;-)
Old 06-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 406 Likes on 181 Posts

Damn that boat looks Great in all white.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Registered

Thank guys. I really think its Classic looking in all white. I think thats its biggest draw. I should have it weighed! Mel said Bobby made this 1 to run like hell. It was made for Mel Riggs as a special order. Currently running Revolution 4 23p with some work. They accelerate and handle like you would believe, I imagine the addition of the Imco steering has something to do with that also. If anyone wants to get some Apaches together on Lake Lanier I'm in.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Registered

Getting on plane is no problem at all. She pops right out of the hole without the tabs at all. I will try the covering up the indictator covers. I only have 4.5 hours of seat time on her so far. Working a ton all week didnt get out of all this week. Hopefully tomorrow after work maybe.
Greg
Old 06-29-2011, 03:03 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call over to Precision Drilling in Canton GA and talk to Kirk Smith. He has the fastest 36 pleasure(maybe the fastest 36). Its in all white trim as well. I think the Lake Allatoona guys(which includes Kirk) are heading to Lanier for 4th of July weekend.

Or bring some ice cold Miller Lite with you to Nautical Restorations behind Matworks in Alpharetta and pick Robert Tanner's brain. You must bring ice cold Miller Lite with you!
Old 06-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

That boat is very nice. Congrats
Old 06-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Registered

Because of work I will not be able to get out this 4th, but I am taken her out on Friday. I will check out Kirk and see what he says thank you the advice.
Greg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.