Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Apache
Incredible Apache >

Incredible Apache

Notices

Incredible Apache

Old 03-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in Fort Myers today for business. Mark invited me to stop by the shop to catch up and visit with Raju - the Bengal cat. It was a pleasant surprise for me. Apache Star, the former Apache Heritage, was in the shop after a recent dialing-in run.

I left the shop almost six hours ago and I am still awestruck. The restoration is beyond what I would have imagined. The enclosed canopy was replaced with a custom formed, green tint polycarbonate. The cockpit and Recaro race seats are finished in custom leather (not vinyl, but real animal hides) from Bentley England (Yes, that Bentley). The Recaro seats are yellow stitch Carbon from the race division in Germany. The cockpit is a single piece unit mounted on a two stage, patented shock mitigation system. As was told to me, the first stage will absorb everything up to 4 footers. When the first stage "bottoms out", the second stage takes over and absorbs upto six footers. Beyond six footers, I'm heading home. I know the boat can take it but I don't want to endure the recovery on my back and knees the next day.

The engine compartment, as usual, is an example of incredible attention to detail. All the traditional Stainless Steel is matte black. The combination of the Merc 1350s in black and Carbon fiber, with the matte black Stainless against the rich paint that matches the exterior is simply stunning. A nice touch on the engine hatch, Mark installed clear "windows" above the flame arrestors. Sort of like the view into the engine compartment of the F430 Ferrari. Just as an indication of the quality and commitment on the restoration, there are now mirrors on either side of the cockpit. The mirrors are from a McLaren F1.

The paint is a custom color from Porsche - not available to us mere mortals here in the US. It presents slight color variations depending upon the light conditions and the angle from which you are looking. It is such a deep, rich color in person. To call it orange is simply inadequate. I could never have imagined doing a whole boat in monochromatic - especially orange - until I saw this in person today.

Mark told me that he has 7,000 man hours in the boat. To my eye, it is museum quality. There really is no limitation to what can be achieved by our custom builders here in the US. My earlier comment about it being a BAMF doesn't even come close. Add un-be-F'n-lievable.

We all have a list of boats, past and present, whether they be race boats, pleasure boats, or true custom works of art, that belong in the Hall of Fame. This one just moved to the top of my list.

PS: out of respect for Marks policy of protecting his clients' privacy, I did not take any pictures.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks MB3.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

more pics please!
Old 03-07-2014, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

How many motors now?
Old 03-07-2014, 05:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ApachePete
How many motors now?
Good question Pete! I'm looking at the 1 pic available on my 27" iMac screen. I believe I see two air scoops on a long stagger. Incredible torque from those Mercury Racing 1350's.....Interesting. MB3 had eyes on the powerboat, hopefully he'll answer the question.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They said it had clear windows above the engines so it looks like two. ApachePete how did that boat look when it raced back then?
Old 03-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHLeoTdfzBI
Old 03-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ApachePete
How many motors now?
two. full stagger.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:14 PM
Registered

So, you can imagine the amount of work involved in converting the stringer system; redoing the transom; removing and reconfiguring the fuel tanks; and crafting a new engine hatch from scratch. Lots of re-design and re-fit work. In the final incarnation, it came together wonderfully.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MegaByte*3
So, you can imagine the amount of work involved in converting the stringer system; redoing the transom; removing and reconfiguring the fuel tanks; and crafting a new engine hatch from scratch. Lots of re-design and re-fit work. In the final incarnation, it came together wonderfully.
Thanks for the input. Sounds like literally a boatload of professional work went into this resto/mod. Mercury Racings 1350s in this Apache really bumps performance. . Congratulations to the new owner, and of course Apache Powerboats for the build.

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 03-09-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.