Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Apache
Anyone know the 28 Brave in the classifieds? >

Anyone know the 28 Brave in the classifieds?

Like Tree0Likes

Anyone know the 28 Brave in the classifieds?

Old 09-07-2019, 01:18 PM
Registered

Default Anyone know the 28 Brave in the classifieds?

This model is on my short list and doesn't come available often. Is anyone here familiar with the history of this boat or could you give me a SWAG at the cost to convert to a pleasure style interior?

https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...ft-o76230.html

Thanks--Dave
Old 09-07-2019, 01:40 PM
Registered

My Boat: 28 Pantera 24 Python

I started a thread about it a week ago.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:33 PM
Registered

My Boat: 2002 Apache Brave " GHOST DANCE"

I love my 28 but its a Apache not a Cherokee. Mine is a twin big block boat also and a pleasure set up. My hin starts APH, Eric signed my MSO though. Bobby told me the story about the 28s. I have the 100th one pulled from the mold. Carbon N Kevlar in the lay up and my bottom has been blue printed. I don't know any history of that boat but I am willing to bet Bobby would know and willing to share details with you.
Greg
Old 09-09-2019, 01:08 PM
Registered

My Boat: 1990 28 Apache SOLD!, 2005 Pioneer 175 Venture

I don't know what original employees were still around Apache in 2002 when myattitudes boat was built, but I will venture to say not many. And those that were around were probably some of the same people that built the 28 Cherokee.

I don't personally know this boat, but I had a 28 Apache and I would of traded it for this one hands down. The newer models (post 1995), Cherokee included, will be built better IMO. To my knowledge none of the older 28's used carbon n Kevlar. The older models had solid glass hulls, with wood coring used in the hull sides. Its my understanding that Eric Froberg built this boat and he was just as much a part of Apache as Mark McManus was IMO, but then again I wasn't there.

If its really carbon n Kevlar layup then it will be a lot lighter. Even if was a drive eater that kind of layup for that price is more than worthy of a drive upgrade and priced accordingly IMO.

To convert to pleasure cockpit I think you will need to move the engine bulkhead back and that can be a lot of work. It will also negatively change the weight balance. I think this one is perfect as is, but if your trying to get to 100+ it's not the boat for you. Mine had twins, but it was still balanced so well that merely changing to aluminum heads negatively affected the balance. You may be able to get a second row standing up under current configuration, which I think would be cheap. There is an older 28 Apache that was converted to single engine on powerboatlisting, Bad Medicine, that would be a better buy if looking for pleasure cockpit.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 09-09-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:00 PM
Registered

Texacoma brought up a great point. Eric's involvement in Apache from what I heard is that he is a great guy and an amazing builder and rigger he contributed more then he gets credit for. I recently i.e. This June had mine surveyed. After checking around and talking to some local people I had a guy by the name of Mike Griffen do my survey. He actually worked for Apache in the 90s and spoke very highly of Eric's skill and ability. He told me a bit of Eric and how he used the 28 mold and basically built some single engine boats and came up with some new build ideas i.e. Composite over wood using carbon and Kevlar in high stress areas and also in the lay up for inceased strength and weight savings. I don't know if apaches and cherokees were made at the same time period or not or made side by side. Seem like back and forth type of thing. But if it's short list boat check and double check. Apache or Cherokee I do not feel or think you will be disappointed in the build quality or the way it's crushes the water.. there are not a lot of these around i.e. The 28 that's clean and ready to run. Think this is the most I have ever seen for sale at one time period. What's the hin on the boat your looking into?
Old 09-11-2019, 02:03 PM
Registered

Eric used to active here years ago, for that matter everyone was active here years ago. Always amazing stories and great info. Laughs and community.l
Old 09-11-2019, 04:22 PM
Registered

Thanks to all that have replied and I appreciate the feedback--a little more info on my situation.
I'm a 60 year old industrial mechanic getting ready to retire to the middle Tennesse area and looking for a lake home and my first performance boat to keep me from getting bored. My intention is to build/buy a boat that I can repair and maintain myself and can be easily towed with a half ton truck. In my research so far I believe most "mass market" boats are throwaways once they reach a certain age and there are only a handful of brands that stand a chance of retaining any value.
The first thing to go would be the detuned race motor and it would be replaced with a EFI unit that would be far easier to maintain--making the current drive be sort of a non issue. The race proven hull design is attractive in that it would likely handle anything I could throw at it and still be safe and stable in most any situation.
Coming from a collector car background I understand how quickly a project of this type can get out of hand and become a full blown money pit. With it being a purpose built race boat would it be wise to pass and wait for something else better suited for my use to become available? Any further thoughts or guidance would be appreciated

Thanks--Dave

Last edited by 1960brookwood; 09-11-2019 at 04:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-12-2019, 09:34 AM
Registered

My Boat: 1990 28 Apache SOLD!, 2005 Pioneer 175 Venture

I thought it was tough work wrenching in the bilge at age 30, much less at age 60. At least this Cherokee has plenty of room in the bilge to work on. I think at 60, really any age, an outboard boat would maximize time on the water and be much easier and cheaper to work on. Just the simplicity of being able to stand up and work on rear of the boat makes it much more enjoyable to work on.

Tennessee has a ton of great river boating, but the one time I boated there (Chatanooga) I recall there was a speed limit so you may want to look into that a bit more. You will want to travel very long distances cause the rivers allow for it. If I was set on retiring in Tennessee I'd be looking for something that can have a long range, comfortable cabin for overnighting, and great fuel economy. Saw a nice Tempest and Hustler twin outboard boats in Miami craigslist may be a great option.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:25 AM
Registered

The Hull is amazing, runs with much larger hulls. Loves chop and rough water, not a flat water or river boat. I don't know how it would handle with a single. I know mine likes power, I think as a single with moderate power it would be ok. These hulls are not speed demons by any means. But ride quality and build quality are over the top. I am curious as to the build number of that boat from the mold, whats the HIN? Engine compartment with twin is very tight. Tail heavy with twins as well. In the water it sits like a hot rod with twin big blocks. I love how deep the cockpit is. I am 6'4" and 240 lbs. Cabin is nice size and useful. I am not sold on a single in this hull. Just my thoughts.
Greg
Old 09-13-2019, 04:11 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

My Boat: 2003 28 Pantera - SOLD

Originally Posted by 1960brookwood View Post
Thanks to all that have replied and I appreciate the feedback--a little more info on my situation.
I'm a 60 year old industrial mechanic getting ready to retire to the middle Tennesse area and looking for a lake home and my first performance boat to keep me from getting bored. My intention is to build/buy a boat that I can repair and maintain myself and can be easily towed with a half ton truck. In my research so far I believe most "mass market" boats are throwaways once they reach a certain age and there are only a handful of brands that stand a chance of retaining any value.
The first thing to go would be the detuned race motor and it would be replaced with a EFI unit that would be far easier to maintain--making the current drive be sort of a non issue. The race proven hull design is attractive in that it would likely handle anything I could throw at it and still be safe and stable in most any situation.
Coming from a collector car background I understand how quickly a project of this type can get out of hand and become a full blown money pit. With it being a purpose built race boat would it be wise to pass and wait for something else better suited for my use to become available? Any further thoughts or guidance would be appreciated

Thanks--Dave
I wouldn't hack up this classic race boat.
I think this would suit you better.
2000 Phantom 30 Sportster ? Grand Sport Center