Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Awesome
Will the real James Beard please stand up! >

Will the real James Beard please stand up!

Notices

Will the real James Beard please stand up!

Old 08-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will the real James Beard please stand up!

James, I copied this from the "old school cat" thread. Was this you?

Best Old School Cat Photo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well done little nige yet again you come up with the goods.
Personal favourite of mine is the Satisfaction photo as this boat is one my favourites.

I was on a spectator boat when this Cougar 38 won the Cowes Torquay as Yellowdrama III with Ken Cassir (owner) and James Beard (throttles and designer) on board it was agreat day to see an English cat win this event. Surely this must have been the first major class 1 offshore event that a cat won.

From memory the Yellowdrama III cat had been fitted with the ex Carlo Bonomi Martini spare engines as Ken Cassir had bought the Martini boat with all the spares the previous year, he then run it as Yellowdram II.

This wood Cougar 38 has been run under many names including Yellowdrama III, Limit Up, Satisfaction and probably most famously as Benihana.

Does any one know what happened to the boat in the end as it surely is one of the most prolific Cougar cats of all time.

This boat has to be the beginning of the change in class 1 internationally from monos to cats as both US champs Betty Cook and Joel Halpern bought wooden Cougar cats after this.