In... or out... on a 31

Notices

In... or out... on a 31

Old 08-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In... or out... on a 31

On a Thundercat 3100...are you spinning inward... or outward? And if you try ???... What's the pro's and con'. ???
Mine is spinning the prop in... Never tried out.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

I like out, in is a bit faster (my boat maybe 2-3mph) but no way worth the rolley polley handling. T2x has a nice thread explaining the reasons for this. Definitely worth trying both ways.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will find the link from the Cat History thread
Old 08-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Registered

in for mine with both bravo and SSM
Old 08-24-2012, 03:27 PM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have tried both and prefer in
Old 08-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Registered

Out
Old 08-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Registered

In

In to WIN
Old 08-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
I will find the link from the Cat History thread
Great Moments in Cat History: Page 11 T2x quote:
My thoughts on "spinning" in..... Simple physics.... Right hand rotation propellers,torque (lean) the boat to the left. Left hand rotation propellers torque the boat to the right. In a twin engine boat spinning outboard or , RH on right side, LH on left, the torque of the propellers tends to return the boat to level when one side or the other leans outward. When props are spun inboard RH on left, LH on right, or counter rotated the torque tends to make the lean worse. This occurs because as a boat(Cat or Vee) leans to one side, the prop on that side buries deeper and exerts more force, while the prop on the other side rises (in some cases out of the water) and exerts less force. So...... If a RH prop is spinning on the right side of a boat leaning to the right, the prop tends to push the hull back over to the left. (spinning Outboard). If, however, the left hand prop is on the right side in a right hand lean , the prop tends to continue to roll the boat over. I submit that this is why there has been such a dramatic increase in barrel rolls (even in straight-aways) in races in recent years. When I flew over races for 16 years, I could always spot the counter rotated boats, because they behaved very differently (and definitely not better)than their properly spun (outboard rotation) competitors.
The reason that many people spin them "backwards" is the fact that on some hulls the boat may gain a mile or two per hour at top speed....or..... the boat has a bottom tune that needs more bow lift. The speed can generally be achieved in other ways without using an unnatural rotation as a "bandaid" (This is particularly problematical on stepped bottom boats that skid first, then catch suddenly, then roll outward......get the picture?)
One can re-tune most bottoms to add rocker to provide bow lift without resorting to ill advised prop rotation changes.

Counter rotation is adviseable on SINGLE engine race boats when the courses change from counter-clockwise to clockwise. LH props like right turns and handle better, RH props like left turns. Since the Bravo drive allows for a simple flick of a lever to reverse rotation, one would expect that Factory 1 racers would have a supply of left and right props depending on the course ....... up until this year most F1 racers don't...... I guess nobody has "invented" this yet.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Registered

Based upon what T2x and other Cat racers have told me, I will play if safe and spin------outward.

I will get the speed back via other methods. Can you say Wilson Marine?