Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Baja hull! Why does it lean? Why is there hook? >

Baja hull! Why does it lean? Why is there hook?

Notices

Baja hull! Why does it lean? Why is there hook?

Old 04-13-2005, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja hull! Why does it lean? Why is there hook?

I have a 02 252 islander. I'm trying to sort out a problem with the boat leaning to the left.
Now when it is calm out and no wind and on plane the boat has a very slight lean to the left even at WOT. But when it is ruff out the boat will beat the shi!! out of you on the left side. Changing weight doesn't help I put 4 guys on the drivers side when it was doing this and it didn't correct it so I know it's not a weight distribution issue. I hardly ever carry anything on the boat.
I did check the bottom in the Hull and the only hook I found was on the strakes on both side about the last 12". But the one on the right looks to be a little bigger than the one on the left.
Can this diff in hook cause that much trouble?
Why so much worse in the ruff stuff?
Why does the boat NEVER lean to the right in any condition?

Got fed up with it at the poker run in Austin. At the start of the run when every one was taking off I really couldn't get past 25 to 30 mph. It just kept on comming down on the left side. Had a freind that started after we did and he said it looked like I was going to roll the boat. I just had to wait till all the water calmed down to run it but it still leaned.

My 98 232 Baja never did this in any condition. Never had to use trim tabs on that boat eather. I don't even know if they worked. And no I don't have tabs on this boat. I only think I would need them if I had an uneven load, trouble getting on plane or a 30mph wind hitting me on that side.

Here is where I found the hook
Attached Thumbnails Baja hull! Why does it lean? Why is there hook?-transomhook1.jpg   Baja hull! Why does it lean? Why is there hook?-transomhook2.jpg  
Old 04-13-2005, 07:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Re: Baja hull! Why does it lean? Why is there hook?

Tabs should even it out I would think, but sounds like what mine would feel like when a strong wind would catch that side, if not mabye have the bottom blueprinted, I would recomend tabs on anything over 23' I have had them on my 24, 25,and Kplanes on my 32 and my 29 that is on the way
Old 04-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is it a right hand prop?
Old 04-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 126 Likes on 52 Posts

I had uneven hooks in my 2001 302 and it leaned to the left. I blew 2 trim cylinders on that side before it went to baja and got fixed ( an whole other story........search the threads for "Major Problems with my 302"). My boat did the exact same thing, it landed on the side when it was rough and beat the sh!t of the the boat and its passengers. There was a very small difference in the hooks but it made a huge difference at speed especially crusing around 2800-3500 rpms with no trim to the drives. I could trim out of it with the drives but on Lake Erie it is not often that you can run balls out with the nose pointing to the heavens. If it is under warranty then have your dealer look at it if not have a goooooood, glass guy familar with offshore boats look at it an correct it.

I do not sugest taking the hooks out complety as this can lead to some pretty bad porposing.

My .02.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:00 PM
Registered

It is a right hand prop. But I don't think a left hand would fix it.
If it was torque that was causing the problem wouldn't it lean right not left?

Trim tabs would have straightend it out but I just think it would be masking the problem. My freind that said it looked like I was going to roll the boat was on a 29 Outlaw and they had 8 people on it and they didn't have to use the tabs at all. Getting to plane is a b'tch when it is ruff and really can't do it if I have people on the boat. It sounds and feels like I'm going to break the boat in half. I can't trim mine out level with the outdrive unless it's calm out but still leans slightly.

Another thing I've always noticed is in calm water or running dead into the wind with light chop by myself the boat really does feel sticky in the water the speed builds really slow and feels like a rubberband holding you back. Still runs 67 to 69 gps.

Ironman
Where did they find your hook at on the strakes or some where else. I've read all the stuff on hook and blueprinting everyone has diff opinions on it. I know my 23 didn't have them.

And I have contacted Baja and they will fix it if that is the problem. I just need to get it into J@J Sports in Flower Mound to see what he says.

Russ

Last edited by russ; 04-14-2005 at 02:14 PM.