1" shorter drives on a 36 Outlaw >

1" shorter drives on a 36 Outlaw

Notices

1" shorter drives on a 36 Outlaw

Old 09-20-2005, 08:56 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1" shorter drives on a 36 Outlaw

Is anybody running a 1" shorter drive on a 36 Outlaw ?? Now that it is the end of my season I want to change to shorties but I would like to hear of some success stories before I change anything. I do not have stock power, so please also tell me what you have for horsepower as well.

Thanks--

Smitty
Old 09-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1" shorter drives on a 36 Outlaw

Since you aren't getting any replies I'll tell you what little I know.

Have a friend that built up a 36 outlaw. It was a 2001 model with 502's. They made 509's and Whipple charged them (850 HP). I thought he had 2 inch shorties on it and have posted that before, but I was wrong. They were 1 inch shorties, IMCO Extremes.

The boat ran very well (92 GPS) and handled well. He was pleased with it, but it did not run triple digits and he bought a cat.

There was a thread not long ago where a guy tried 2 inch shorties and could not get on plane.

Personally I would add extension boxes with the shorties. I think that is the way to go with these boats from what I have learned.

Hope this helps a little.

Dock
Old 09-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty
Is anybody running a 1" shorter drive on a 36 Outlaw ?? Now that it is the end of my season I want to change to shorties but I would like to hear of some success stories before I change anything. I do not have stock power, so please also tell me what you have for horsepower as well.

Thanks--

Smitty
THEY DID NOT WORK ON MY 99 36 IT WAS REALLY HARD TO GET ON PLANE AND SLOWED THE BOAT DOWN BAJA DID PLAY
WITH THE X ON THE 99 AND SOME 2000 MINE IS ALREADY
UP 1.5 INCHES SO WHEN I PUT THE SHORTIES ON IT WAS TO HIGH I HAVE 509'S WITH 610 HP GOOD LUCK
I DID TRY THE 2 INCH SHORTIE.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:36 PM
VIP Member

Thanks guys !! I have 750 hp per motor and I am going with the 1" shorter drives. I would do boxes too but not in the budget right now. I hear that I can see about 3 mph gain so that will get me to around 86-87 and I would be happy with that. These boats are heavy and not efficient so I know if I want to see over 90 I might as well buy something else.

Thanks,

Smitty
Old 09-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Registered

Hey Smitty What Props Are You Using?
Old 09-20-2005, 07:01 PM
VIP Member

I currently have 1.36 ratio drives and I am running 28" stock Bravo 1's When I switch drives I will go 1.50 ratio and use at least 30" Bravo 1's
Old 09-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Registered

Smitty,

I have a 99 36 Outlaw with 2 1/2 inch shorter Imco Extreme SC's.I bought my boat late in the summer of 98 as a 99 model. As far as I know Baja had not changed the X at that time. I agree with Dock Holiday, you really need extension boxes. I have 8" set backs (not a stand off box on the transom but a Land & Sea box that attaches to the Gimbel and pushes the drive 8" back). I put the boxes on prior to raising the X. The 8" increased my top end by 4 mph by it self. When I raised the X 2 1/2 " I had lab finished 4-blade Bravo's. The boat got on plane and ran but the props were really slipping. I only saw about 84 mph. I bought a pair of Herring 6-blades and the boat came to life. For the past two years I have been running 94 to 95 mph in good water. If it is flat I still can run 92. I have 750 hp motors and boat in Lake Huron. You really need the boxes to get clean water and then you need the 5 or 6 blades to carry the boat with the higher X. If you can't do the boxes now just know there is more speed left in your boat if you want to spend the money.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Drill It
Smitty,

I have a 99 36 Outlaw with 2 1/2 inch shorter Imco Extreme SC's.I bought my boat late in the summer of 98 as a 99 model. As far as I know Baja had not changed the X at that time. I agree with Dock Holiday, you really need extension boxes. I have 8" set backs (not a stand off box on the transom but a Land & Sea box that attaches to the Gimbel and pushes the drive 8" back). I put the boxes on prior to raising the X. The 8" increased my top end by 4 mph by it self. When I raised the X 2 1/2 " I had lab finished 4-blade Bravo's. The boat got on plane and ran but the props were really slipping. I only saw about 84 mph. I bought a pair of Herring 6-blades and the boat came to life. For the past two years I have been running 94 to 95 mph in good water. If it is flat I still can run 92. I have 750 hp motors and boat in Lake Huron. You really need the boxes to get clean water and then you need the 5 or 6 blades to carry the boat with the higher X. If you can't do the boxes now just know there is more speed left in your boat if you want to spend the money.
When you added the land and sea exstensions whar did you do for your hydraulic steering rams? My 272 runs just over 90mph with a stock length drive at max trim and I think there is some more speed there if I add the land and sea exstention but didn't know what you did for steering rams,the other Smitty
Attached Thumbnails 1" shorter drives on a 36 Outlaw-boat-90-mph-026.jpg  
Old 09-20-2005, 09:50 PM
Registered

I added the extensions about four years ago so I don't remember exactly what we had to do. I can tell you we used the same rams that were on the boat but they were attached at a different point on the drive. If I recall correctly I had to have Lathem custom build a new top plate for the drive to allow the steering to be re-attached. Land & Sea told us what we needed to do. I know it worked fine when Lathem was done. It wasn't cheap but it worked and looked great.

Drill It
Old 09-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 126 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Drill It
Smitty,

WOW a 90+ with 750hp in a 36 that is impressive. There is hope for me then, I want a triple digit 35 or 36 but it might have to wait for another 10 yrs.

Quick Reply: 1" shorter drives on a 36 Outlaw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.