Supercharged 25 OL With MagHO

Notices

Supercharged 25 OL With MagHO

Old 07-12-2006, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged 25 OL With MagHO

Who has one? What are the speed gains?

I'm looking to Supercharge mine and add Hydraulic Steering, Bottom Blueprint, K-Planes, and Headers. Has anyone done this? How does the 25 respond with that kind of power.

I love the boat and can't see spending the extra $$$ for a 30 at this time.

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 07-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Supercharged 25 OL With MagHO

watch the boost. you will blow those pistons apart.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Registered

Yea,and The Drive!!!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 02:02 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

25 Outlaw with a HP525EFI, Imco ext box (12" x 3"lift), full hydr. steering, EMI 23" tabs, labbed B28"..... I´ve got 81.2 mph @5300 on the GPS recall, and I´m still dialing it in.
I run 78 mph anytime with a full tank now like I used to run 65 mph last year with the 496HO (max was 67 GPS).
It´s the raised x dimension in combination with the extension that does the trick. ! reckon it brought me 5 mph, and unbelievable rough water capability. The bottom blueprint is an unlikely bringer( unless you really do have a bad hull). There´s not much hull left in the water at 80 anyway! I was going to shave off the hooked "tab" at the end of the second strake, but I seem to have so much bow lift that I didn´t need to. There might be a lil´bit of speed to found there though.....
My advice - be carefull with the blower on a 496. And if you want economical speed, go for the extension box but ONLY in combination with the 3" lift.
The box bolts right up to the original holes in the transom, but you have to fabricate new motor mounts (3" higher). The hydraulic steering is integrated and an easy fit. The box w. steering doesn´t cost much more than the steering alone.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

If you put on hyd steering go full to the helm or your wasting your time. Use twin rams definately too. As far as blueprinting the bottom of the hull it was something I was also considering having done on my 272 until I found out the guys who are really doing it right charge 6000$ plus dollars and boat will probably porpoise at cruising speed afterwards. My 272 has slight hook built into the hull but when I'm running hard that part of the hull doesn't really touch the water anyways. If your intent on doing all this just make sure your budgeting realisticlly as oil system mods,beefed up xr drives,beefing up your motor once pistons do break etc are all part of the equation. I tell guys all the time there are a TON of hidden cost,you start out thinking 2500$ for hyd steering,5 or 6 thousand for a blower kit and for under 10,000$ you'll have a nice dependable boat,WRONG. Thats just the start,you puke a drive,add 6-10 thousand,1500$ for bigger oil cooler,lines,fittings etc,2500-4000 for exhaust sytem and mufflers,at least a couple props,msd ignition box or equivilant,dyno time/custom tuning,bigger trim tabs,hd couplers,motor mounts,break a piston or blow a head gasket,you start upgrading motor which can quickly run you another 10,000$ I did what your talking about to my 272 five years ago,the 10,000$ I planned on spending quickly turned into 25,000$ plus and Ive easily spent more than that again on more parts/rebuilds/further upgrades,exstension box etc. If your prepared to spend the $ than go for it,just trying to make sure you understand what your jumping into,nothing sucks worse than a project costing much more than what you planned for and boat being apart during boating season when you should be out having fun,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Supercharged 25 OL With MagHO-dsc03834.jpg  
Old 07-13-2006, 07:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
If you put on hyd steering go full to the helm or your wasting your time. Use twin rams definately too. As far as blueprinting the bottom of the hull it was something I was also considering having done on my 272 until I found out the guys who are really doing it right charge 6000$ plus dollars and boat will probably porpoise at cruising speed afterwards. My 272 has slight hook built into the hull but when I'm running hard that part of the hull doesn't really touch the water anyways. If your intent on doing all this just make sure your budgeting realisticlly as oil system mods,beefed up xr drives,beefing up your motor once pistons do break etc are all part of the equation. I tell guys all the time there are a TON of hidden cost,you start out thinking 2500$ for hyd steering,5 or 6 thousand for a blower kit and for under 10,000$ you'll have a nice dependable boat,WRONG. Thats just the start,you puke a drive,add 6-10 thousand,1500$ for bigger oil cooler,lines,fittings etc,2500-4000 for exhaust sytem and mufflers,at least a couple props,msd ignition box or equivilant,dyno time/custom tuning,bigger trim tabs,hd couplers,motor mounts,break a piston or blow a head gasket,you start upgrading motor which can quickly run you another 10,000$ I did what your talking about to my 272 five years ago,the 10,000$ I planned on spending quickly turned into 25,000$ plus and Ive easily spent more than that again on more parts/rebuilds/further upgrades,exstension box etc. If your prepared to spend the $ than go for it,just trying to make sure you understand what your jumping into,nothing sucks worse than a project costing much more than what you planned for and boat being apart during boating season when you should be out having fun,Smitty
How does your boat handle with the power? I plan on drive upgrades, k-planes, etc...., but I was wondering since our hulls are similar does the boat handle well?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

It handles no better or worse than most average 25 ft v-hulls. If I try to run real light and run my 32 pitch prop it tends to torque twist until the bow lifts but only if running super light. It used to chinewalk from 70-75 if you were no longer accelerating but cruising but the longer tabs and full to the helm hyd steering got rid of 95% of it. I recently installed a stellings ext box too and raised drive height 1" but haven't driven it enough to tell you how it handles or any quirks other than it seems like it porpoises now slightly unless tabs are down 1 or 2 clicks further than what I used to run them. Haven't driven it were water wasn't evil chop except last sat and supercharger wiped out 10 seconds after I opened it up,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Supercharged 25 OL With MagHO-dsc03833.jpg  
Old 07-14-2006, 10:23 AM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The full hydraulic steering really does make a big difference. I think it probably makes more of a difference on small hulls like ours because of the amount of air time they see! And as far as safety goes, there is no question. One more thing, there are three issues that are very important in making a small fast boat a pleasure to use, the whole season long, and they are rigging, rigging and rigging. Take your time, do it properly so that it is durable and easy to service. Small go fasts take an even bigger pounding than big ones.
Go for it, you will love it.