Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Concept conceived! Wankels.... >

Concept conceived! Wankels....

Notices

Concept conceived! Wankels....

Old 08-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very unfortunate that it's a matter of a few inches with the rotaries. Realistically, I would need three per side which is the four stroke equivalent of 480 cid. Turbocharging two 2 rotor motors does not get the torque there. So I'm stuck. I was thinking today that I could make a custom eccentric shaft to make a compact 6 rotor motor but this is a project in of itself let alone a boat I have to restore. So for now, it looks like I will take a few 502 blocks and get them pumped up to 540 or 560 cubes...reorganize the deck and make everything tight.

I'm surprised a kit does not exist for a 6 rotor mazda rotary...it would be so compact and have so many applications. But, I really need to concentrate on the boat itself....maybe I'll be inspired to go rotary down the road by producing a custom motor.

It's not the power density, lightweight or space savings...just seems that a 600 or 700 hp rotary would be a perfect match for the Bravo unit. Many people have told me.....if you build a BBC turbo or supercharged, stay out of the throttle or the torque will tear the drive up. So naturally, a rotary having less torque but impressive horsepower seems to be a match in heaven for Bravo one drives. It really comes down to....we are not horsepower limited, but drive limited. Anyone of us can build a high horsepower motor, but getting a drive to "put up with" the torque is a different story.

I got this Force 370 for $8k...mainly bought it for its beautiful cuddy. Now looking at my Force 320.....it seems to be the difference of an impressive go-fast boat versus a bayliner. I love my 320...but time to graduate to the 370. I'm just cautious of the fact of how much power it will take to move this big beast over the 320...it's bigger in every dimension!