Overheating - Brand New '06 30OL 496mags >

Overheating - Brand New '06 30OL 496mags

Notices

Overheating - Brand New '06 30OL 496mags

Old 08-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Overheating - Brand New '06 30OL 496mags

Friend of mine just picked up his new 30OL about 5weeks ago. His Port side 496mag is sounding the overheating alarm, but only after he runs around 50+ for an extended length of time. He can run 45 all day, but it only happens at speed. I rode with him yesterday, after impellor had been changed. Alarm sounded @ 190degree, it cooled while we sat still @ idle, then we rode back at 45, all was fine. Very frustrating, Mercury or Baja have not been much help on this. I also noticed that his oil temp rose on both motors, mine never moves. I have searched overheating on the threads and couldnt come up with a similiar occurance. Any suggestions are welcome, the old impellor was in excellent condition, no teeth missing.
The Baja dealer @ SML has been a pain from the start, do not buy from that place, Long story on the trailer issues, but bottom line is the Baja dealer at SML isnt treating him right at all with the trailer or boat.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why was the impeller changed at only 5 weeks old? If the old one came apart, there may be pieces of it stuck in the oil cooler. I am not positive but I don't think 190 degrees would set off the alarm. What temp does the other side run? Might put a scan tool on to find out for sure what the alarm is. It could be an exhaust manifold gettin hot.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Registered

Impellor was changed as a trial and error thing, and to check the old one, it was all in one piece. There wasnt any error codes on it last week, its being hooked up right now to check again. Very weird, only overheats at 50+ mph.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodTymn
Friend of mine just picked up his new 30OL about 5weeks ago. His Port side 496mag is sounding the overheating alarm, but only after he runs around 50+ for an extended length of time. He can run 45 all day, but it only happens at speed. I rode with him yesterday, after impellor had been changed. Alarm sounded @ 190degree, it cooled while we sat still @ idle, then we rode back at 45, all was fine. Very frustrating, Mercury or Baja have not been much help on this. I also noticed that his oil temp rose on both motors, mine never moves. I have searched overheating on the threads and couldnt come up with a similiar occurance. Any suggestions are welcome, the old impellor was in excellent condition, no teeth missing.
The Baja dealer @ SML has been a pain from the start, do not buy from that place, Long story on the trailer issues, but bottom line is the Baja dealer at SML isnt treating him right at all with the trailer or boat.

Hey sorry to hear of the problems. Tell him to try 877-321-2252 ask for customer service and talk to Tanya Bowers.

We had one of the first Islander 277's and it turned out to be a P.O.S. many of the problems we were having our local dealer M.M. couldn't or wouldn't fix so we had to pay out of pocket to get items fixed then we submitted the bill to her and she cut us a check. We ended up having more problems with it and since we couldn't get support from the local dealer and didn't want to have to pay out of pocket everytime so we traded the boat and took a 24K loss. This sucks not only for the loss but because we really do like Baja's however I will not buy another at this point with everything that happened.

Good luck

Chris
Old 08-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Registered

When I lost an impeller on one of my 496's the alarm went off at about 190 deg. Don't have any input on what the problem might be. Water pressure maybe?
Old 08-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Speed is everything
Gold Member

My freind had the same problem with his 496ho in his 25OL. what fixed it was he had to put in a new oil cooler. It was clogged up. has not had a problem since. you might want to take a look at it.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boss252
My freind had the same problem with his 496ho in his 25OL. what fixed it was he had to put in a new oil cooler. It was clogged up. has not had a problem since. you might want to take a look at it.

That would make sense, we did an extensive run on Saturday and my oil temps barely move off the 140 mark, his move up above the 160 mark, on both motors, but only the port side is sounding the alarm, we did get a code this time off the computer, water pressure too low, so a water pump was ordered, but I think both oil coolers need to be replaced myself, I will pass this along, THANKS,
Old 08-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Speed is everything
Gold Member

Hope it works for him. let's us know
Old 08-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GoodTymn
That would make sense, we did an extensive run on Saturday and my oil temps barely move off the 140 mark, his move up above the 160 mark, on both motors, but only the port side is sounding the alarm, we did get a code this time off the computer, water pressure too low, so a water pump was ordered, but I think both oil coolers need to be replaced myself, I will pass this along, THANKS,
My oil temps never come up off the bottom of the gauge (about 140) unless I really run it hard.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your oil temps are definatley above the 140 mark. The senders are located in the wrong spot. If they are in the same place mine were, they are in a "T" in the same place as the oil pressure guage is tapped on the top of the back of the block.

Anyway, back on subject. I would have to suspect that if it isn't a bad sender somewhere, there must be a blockage and like stated above, the oil cooler is the first place to look. One other thought is that the drain valves are not sealing properly allowing air in the water intake hose (before the sea pump) and causing the low pressure, heat problem.

Quick Reply: Overheating - Brand New '06 30OL 496mags

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.