leaking horn >

leaking horn

Notices

leaking horn

Old 06-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking horn

got a 05 33 outlaw, when it rains it leaks threw the horns in the bow. anyone have this problem. thanks
Old 06-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did on the 36 and always had horn problem so I solved it.

I very neatly taped over the horn with blue electric tape and sealed it back with silicone around the edge then put the bezel back on and you just see the blue tape through the slots. NO MORE WATER.

Then I mounted a $19.00 plastic dual trumpet air horn from Advance Auto inside the air intake for the engine and it works like a charm!

My horn was already bad and it was the second time I replaced it so I made a change. If your horn is still good you may just need to reseal it around the edges. It needs some silicone because the gasket alone is not enough.

Good luck.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Registered

thanks.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Registered

Wow, thanks guys. I've been wondering where my mysterious water was coming from. I thought it was the nav. light. I'm going to check the horn. Glad I did a search
Old 02-24-2010, 03:34 PM
VIP Member

Also check the cups below the bow cleats if you have the popup cleats. They crack and leak water too.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Had the same problem on my 1999 36 Outlaw. I started by caulking around the base of the horns on the exterior. I was getting water in the area in front of the bulkhead and it was to the point it was seeping into the v berth. I removed the bulkhead to drfain all the water. While it was removed I caulked the horns from the inside. There must have been a horn caulk shortage the day mine needed it as there was little to none on the inside. Now on the other hand on the other thru deck items in the area there was an over abundance.

That is the approach I would take if I was you. Get to know your boat better in the process!

Mark
Old 02-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know if your boat is cored there or not, but if it is, make sure the coring has been sealed with resin. Otherwise the coring will soak it up like a sponge. Water between the inner and outer skins ain't good. Just going on the fact that all the holes drilled thru any glass on my Baja were not sealed and the coring was wet.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
I did on the 36 and always had horn problem so I solved it.

I very neatly taped over the horn with blue electric tape and sealed it back with silicone around the edge then put the bezel back on and you just see the blue tape through the slots. NO MORE WATER.

Then I mounted a $19.00 plastic dual trumpet air horn from Advance Auto inside the air intake for the engine and it works like a charm!

My horn was already bad and it was the second time I replaced it so I made a change. If your horn is still good you may just need to reseal it around the edges. It needs some silicone because the gasket alone is not enough.

Good luck.
I don't know why all boat horns aren't installed in the engine compartment. I can't stand having them on the bow. All it does is clutters up the bow and gives you one more thing to trip over, and one more place to potentially leak.

Last edited by wjb21ndtown; 02-24-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Registered

Thanks for the advice. One reason I've been using a full mooring cover since 04, stop the leaks. Just one more small bug to iron out. By year 10 of ownership, I should have this thing perfect