Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
New 25 Outlaw APBA class??? >

New 25 Outlaw APBA class???

Notices

New 25 Outlaw APBA class???

Old 03-22-2002, 03:28 AM
pondrunner

Question New 25 Outlaw APBA class???

Does anyone have the facts on the new apba 25 outlaw class? Is it a package sold by Baja or a particular engine setup? Mods allowed? Certification process? Has anyone else heard this? It was in a short article in Powerboat???

Old 03-22-2002, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is straight out of the 2002 APBA Rules, page 167:

"The Outlaw E Class is a “spec” boat, “spec” CRE certified and sealed engine, and “spec” sterndrive, entry level, offshore racing class. Specifically, the 25’ Baja Outlaw powered by a single GM Vortec engine and Mercruiser Bravo One Sterndrive is the exclusive race package for this class. All boats must be purchased or leased through Baja Marine Corporation or a designated dealer, fully rigged and race prepared. "
-------------------------------------------------

The Vortec Engine mentioned is, I believe a GM 496. I heard mention that it is putting out somewhere 500HP. This is only heresay, though. Can anyone confirm or deny this???

Old 03-22-2002, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be a great competitive class of racing. I can't wait! Now, if we could get the Speed Channel to air some of this stuff.
Old 03-22-2002, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SWEET!!! Now there's a legitimate reason to NOT sell my TV's. Of course, there's always the spice channel. Do you know when they will start airing offshore racing again?
Old 03-22-2002, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Advantage,
Unless their re-runs from '01,
It usually starts up about a month after the first national race. I understand that each race will be aired 4 times this season and next. Also, there will be an '02 preview show, just don't know when. Sooner, the better!
Old 03-26-2002, 02:24 PM
MERC575

the engines they will be using will be the 6 liter vortec
they will be putting out around 300-350 horses CMI exhaust and standard bravo one drive

Old 03-26-2002, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally posted by MERC575
the engines they will be using will be the 6 liter vortec...
Oh No.....

That's pretty damn disappointing. I doubt they will even be doing close to 60 in that case...
Old 03-26-2002, 03:12 PM
MERC575

The first one they had at the worlds in nov. was runnig about 62mph . And they were talking about giving the engine more horsepower, that one was the second test engine. roumer has it that the first one sucked a valve about ten min. into prop testing.
hopefully they get it together for this class i think it will be a good class to watch.

Old 03-26-2002, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm really looking forward to this class as well. Naturally, it will be cool to see a bunch of "my" boats running around the national circuit.

As a matter of fact, I've learned quite a lot about the one that was racing P-5 last year in the worlds. As I'm sure you know it was based here in St. Pete at Thunder Marine prior to the races and a couple locals from the Thunder were racing it. That boat did indeed have the 6.0L in it and it was a dog. To get 62, They must have done some kinds of tweaking. Do you by chance know what prop was on it. I don't seem to remember anymore. Anyway, I'm anxious about watching this new class and speaking with the racers. It might help me learn a few things about my boat.

I guess I was misinformed about the 496 vortec's being the possible choice. Oh well....

L8R!
Old 03-27-2002, 08:06 AM
MERC575

I seen a bad a$$ 25 about two years ago. Baja stuffed a 600sc in it. Iwas at the res. were they test and they said that it was running 76mph on gps. It was a custom order i think it's the only one ever built with more than 500 horses.
GTTAHAVEIT you are right these hulls need lots more power but that true with all baja's.

Quick Reply: New 25 Outlaw APBA class???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.