In need of detail advice... >

In need of detail advice...

Notices

In need of detail advice...

Old 04-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of detail advice...

I have a 24' Baja that every year I spend countless hours compounding and buffing with my dewalt auto buffer. I am very familiar with detailing techniques for vehicles; and they all come out well...but for some reason I can't seem to get my boat to stay looking good. The bow is the worst, most likely because of the sun. I buff and buff and it lasts for maybe a month or so. I have used tried 3M 1 step compound/wax and 3M's 2 step but I'm not happy. Can anyone offer any products or advice that has worked???
Thanks
Old 04-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Use Aqua Buff. They have a compound and polish. The compound itself leaves a good shine. Then wax with a UV protectorant.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

Take a look at this web site. autopia.org It is an international professional detailers web site(free). They have a section for boats. If you ask the question there you might get some expert advise.
Jay
Old 04-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 24Outlaw
I have a 24' Baja that every year I spend countless hours compounding and buffing with my dewalt auto buffer. I am very familiar with detailing techniques for vehicles; and they all come out well...but for some reason I can't seem to get my boat to stay looking good. The bow is the worst, most likely because of the sun. I buff and buff and it lasts for maybe a month or so. I have used tried 3M 1 step compound/wax and 3M's 2 step but I'm not happy. Can anyone offer any products or advice that has worked???
Thanks
USE LEVERAGE!!!! Trust me it's proven to bring the shine back and keep it...I've seen a chalky yellow boat look like brand new after using it. Brings the color of the gel back to factory original and then maintains it.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Registered

Have you thought of wet sanding? A buddy bought a used boat from Texas that was faded pretty bad. He had it wet sanded and it looks as good as new.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Registered

Redbud; yes, I was thinking that I would possibly wet sand the boat then buff it out with this "Leverage" everyone has been talking so highly about. After reading about it today, it seems to be a good product for what I'm looking to do. Maybe I'll try an area just with the leverage and see where the gelcoat is condition wise. If it's not as good as I think it could be, I'll wet sand it. Have you heard of leverage? Anything to add?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Registered

Yea, everone seems to talk highly of it. I bought some wax and vinyl protector, just haven't used it yet. It sounds like your boat is oxidized pretty bad, that's why your wax job won't last. Wet sanding is ALOT of work, but the results are amazing.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 24Outlaw
Redbud; yes, I was thinking that I would possibly wet sand the boat then buff it out with this "Leverage" everyone has been talking so highly about. After reading about it today, it seems to be a good product for what I'm looking to do. Maybe I'll try an area just with the leverage and see where the gelcoat is condition wise. If it's not as good as I think it could be, I'll wet sand it. Have you heard of leverage? Anything to add?
Don't wetsand all your doing is removing gel...Use Leverage Oxidation Remover followed by Polish. Follow directions and you'll be amazed...It even works great on prestine boats. I swear by it.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Registered

Anybody know where this leverage product can be purchased?....Is it available at common stores or specialty stores only?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

I think they are an advertiser on this site.
Jay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.