Tow 24-25' Baja >

Tow 24-25' Baja

Notices

Tow 24-25' Baja

Old 05-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Tow 24-25' Baja

I realize there is a thread on "Towing" etc. but I need more specific information. I needed to know from you fine folks if a Ford F-150 can tow 24-25' Baja. If so, can you do it with 2 wheel drive or do you need 4 wheel drive for the wet ramps. Or, does one need to go up to a F-250? Do you need four wheel drive in a pick-up due to the light weight in the rear? I do not want to "just get by" with this. I want to be able to pull all day long, high heat, hills, etc. and not have to worry about overheating or struggling at the wet ramp. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. I am not against Chev/GMC, I just do not know what the numbers are on 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. Thanks in advance !!!
Old 05-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Registered

I just got a 25' Baja and would recommend a 3/4 ton truck. I bought a dodge 2500 w/ cummins and would want nothing less. Fuel mileage is still pretty decent and it's not bad to drive when not towing.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 95 Outlaw SST, 24ft, and I tow it with a 2004 Z71 Half Ton [GMC]. I think if I was gonna be trailering all the time I would step up to a 3/4 ton, but, for what I do [up and down the launch ramp at the cottage] and the occasional poker run it works fine.

I think a big thing to consider is the trailer as well, I currently have a bunk style "Performance" aluminum trailer, it has a nice long tounge and brakes on both axles, that makes a BIG difference! Previously, I had a smaller 21 ft Larson Senza with a single axle [no brakes] Karavan trailer and it was a NITEMARE to pull compared the [bigger] Baja.

If you ARE considering a GM truck, go with the duramax/allision set up, its pretty much bulletproof............just do it SOON, before they are all built in Mexico

Good Luck!
Michael
Old 05-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Registered

i pull my 24 Outlaw with a Chevy Z71 Tahoe and it pulls it just fine....granted i dont tow it over 3 hours anywhere but it sees its fair shares of TN hills and has no problems.

Fords on the other hand, well thats a different story...LOL (jk)
Old 05-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Registered

I pull my 25' outlaw with 99 gmc nbs 2wd with a 5/7 drop with no problems so far. Still run with trafic on the interstate 75mph if i dont worry about fuel mileage.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Registered

Default 24ft Baja 236 F-250

I Have a 24ft baja 236 with a venture aluminum bunk trailer dual axle w/ brakes. Pulled by an F-250 Superduty and i forget the boat is there!
Old 05-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Registered

I sometimes forget my boat is back there too..............until I come to a steep hill!, then going from Overdrive to 2nd gear in a matter of seconds is a "gentle"? reminder, LOL

Michael
Old 05-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Registered

If money was no object, then I would get one of those "conversion" deals, where they convert a Ford 450/550 or Kodiak/Topkick to look like a "regular" dually. I have seen some pretty cool ones by Freightliner too!

You can buy a good used road tractor for alot less than a new dually, probllem is A: its too damn big to drive "daily" so it sits while you drive [and pay for] something else, unlike a regular truck that you can drive "everyday"

B: You need enough room to keep the thing, most people frown on you parking them in your driveway, LOL!

But, I have seen some really cool conversions done, a lot of the serious RV guys use them to haul big 5th wheel trailers around as well.

I guess it all comes down to money!
Old 05-28-2009, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will be just fine with a 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup. I prefer the GM 1/2 trucks more than the Fords. They seem to have a little more poop under the hood when compared to Ford.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

It really comes down to what your truck is rated to tow.

I pulled our 272 (basic same size & weight as 25) with a 1/2 ton GMC Yukon Denali and I knew it was back there. We switched to a Ford Excursion V-10 (3/4 ton) and it was a world of difference. You did not know it was there period and the wife actually drove some on longer trips because she was comfortable with it.

More truck is better. I own as a daily driver a 2007 F-150 V8 with 3.73 gears and I am really not impressed with the power and we have a 20 foot tow hauler enclosed trailer that we take the motorcycle in and it does not do well with it. To be safe I would have to add a weight distribution hitch but since we have the Excursion and the F350 I just use those and life is easy.

Make sure you have good brakes on the trailer also.

Safe towing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.