25 OL with steering play >

25 OL with steering play

Notices

25 OL with steering play

Old 07-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 25 OL with steering play

I have an 01 25OL and recentley repaired the gimble ring that was worn but still have play in the steering. Is there any adjustment on the cable and do the pins in the rack wear and need replaced. Is there anything else to check that I might be missing?
Old 07-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Registered

Well I guess Ill be the first to comment on my own post. I had a friend working the wheel back and forth and the play seems to be coming from the steering actuator. Anybody no anything about these. Doesnt seem to be any adjustment on it. Where the threaded shaft sticks out and the cable screws on it moves in and out about an inch or more back and forth before anything else moves. Im assuming its bad.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you talked to a Baja dealer?, or a local reputable marine mechanic?, I have a bad swivel pin/seal on my Bravo drive too, I think when I replace it I will also go to hydraulic steering, I have been told it takes most of the "slop" out of the steering, helps with chine walk and, in most cases, makes the swivel pin and other steering parts last longer.

Hope this helps!
Michael
Old 07-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Registered

Default Steering play

I just updated to the new U-Flex rotary (with feedback) w/cable and added tilt on my 342. Noticable difference and U-Flex home office was very helpful.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Registered

The problem is when you are under power and pull the throttle back the boat will veer fairly hard to the port side. When you increase throttle it veers to starboard a lil but not as bad as when decreasing throttle. It seems rather excessive.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Registered

Try tightening up the stainless clamps on the gimble ring pivots as well as check your tiller arm on the drive on the inside of boat basically what steering actuator hooks too.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by matttalley
I have an 01 25OL and recentley repaired the gimble ring that was worn but still have play in the steering. Is there any adjustment on the cable and do the pins in the rack wear and need replaced. Is there anything else to check that I might be missing?
I have a 2000 25 OL. I did the repairs in reverse order for the sake of $$$. I replaced my original steering helm/steering cable with a new Teleflex Tilt helm and cable and the side to side play went from about 6 inches to about 2 1/2 (still too much). I then bit the bullet and had the gimbal ring, tiller arm, swivel shaft, etc. replaced and all of the play was gone. No more wandering at slow speeds and that annoying, Godforsaken rear-end 'kick out' is also gone. When coming off full throttle, I used to predict when the rear would come around and try to compensate by steering in the opposite direction real fast. GOD, am I glad I don't have to deal with that BS anymore !

In your case, it sounds like you got the big nut ($$$) out of the way first. I would bet that your play would all but disappear if you replaced the helm and steering cable. If you re-torque the two u-bolt nuts on the back of the transom assembly and nothing happens then this is my best guess. Either way, good luck !

Rock

Last edited by Rocko C; 07-28-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Registered

Thanks for everyones feed back. Im guessing thats what is wrong also from what ive read. A big hole in the water you throw money into. Im starting to understand that now.LOL
Old 07-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Registered

Also, where did you purchase your cable and helm from Rocko C? Any body have any suggestions?Ive seen that teleflex advertised.Is this a good replacement?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Registered

Matttalley, did you ever get this issue sorted out? I know it was a long time ago but I am just searching the forums trying to figure out whats going on with my checkmate, and the way you explained what your boat was doing sounds the most similar out of any situation I have found so far haha. Thanks