Depth Guage / thru hull transducer help >

Depth Guage / thru hull transducer help

Notices

Depth Guage / thru hull transducer help

Old 04-26-2002, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Depth Guage / thru hull transducer help

I just picked up a depth guage with the shoot-thru hull transducer. Can anyone tell me where the "best' place to mount the tranducer?

I have a 232 Islander.

thanks,
Old 04-26-2002, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine that was installed by the factory is installed in the engine room right up next to the stringer that runs down the center of the boat. Just make sure that you account for the angle created by the deadrise so that the thing transmits at a right angle to the surface of the water.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:00 PM
Registered

Default depth guage

thanks for the reply,

but I'm not sure I understand the last part of your message. Do you mean account for the angle when adjusting for the keel offset on the guage? or do i need to actually mount it at an angle? (which i'm not sure how you would do), or ?
Old 04-26-2002, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to mount it at an angle. If you mount it flush to the bottom of the engine room, the transducer would be "shooting" out at an angle (either left or right) relative the the deadrise of the hull. You want it "shooting" straight down towards the bottom of the body of water. Some transducer builders even give you a calibrated "cup" to mount it on depending on your deadrise.

It's impossible to account for the attitude of the boat as is runs through the water but if you follow the rule of thumb above, I think you will be OK.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

I may be very wrong here but I don't think they will work shooting through a bulsa cored hull. It has to be solid fiberglass under the transducer. You need an adapter cut at the angle of your deadrise so that when the transducer is mounted it points straight down not off at an angle.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe Tinkerboater is correct. My baja had a hull mounted transducer and it didn't work worth a crap. I read an instruction pamphlet (cannot remember brand) at Boat U.S. and it did say not to use through hull transducer w/ Balsa core boats. I am replacing mine w/ transom mount unit.
Old 04-27-2002, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

If the Baja has a balsa core hull, you must cut through the inner liner and the coring using a hole saw. You then fill the hole with epoxy resin and place the tranducer in the hole and let it set up. The Velocity factory advised me on location and the method. Scary cutting the hole but a fairly easy job.

Make sure you remove the drill bit from the hole saw or by the time you reach the outer layer of glass with the saw, you will have a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom of your boat. If this happens....drill another hole to allow the water to flow back out.
Old 04-27-2002, 02:13 PM
Registered

Default depth guage

Thanks for all the info. I think I will call a few Baja Dealers and see if I can get the same answer from a couple of them, or I'll call Baja and see if they will talk to me.

I really don't want to mount it on the Transom, and I really don't want to be cutting holes in the bottom of the deck.

I bought a Gaffrig guage with the thru-hull transducer and I assumed it would work.

Why can't anything be easy in life????????????

Andrew
Old 04-27-2002, 02:17 PM
Registered

Default another thought

Outlaw 29,

You said your factory one is mounted in the engine compartment, and I'm assuming it works?

Are all Baja hulls made out of the same material? And why would yours work when others are saying the thru-hull will not work?

thanks
Old 04-27-2002, 04:07 PM
Registered

Hey Baja232

I have the same problem. I just bought a new 2001 Hammer and it did not have the depth guage either. Seems like it ought to be standard equipment. I have been told, that Baja prepares a spot on the floor where they leave the Balsa core out to add the transducer. I have not been able to see it on mine and plan to call Baja to see if they could tell me. The dealer could not as they have not added any after the sale. One of the mechanics there gave the same direction about cutting through the first layer and removing the balsa core. Like you, I do not find this very appealing. If Baja hasn't prepared a place I may transom mount, but I would rather not. If anyone has suggestions I would like to hear them too.

Quick Reply: Depth Guage / thru hull transducer help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.