GPS top speed of the WETTE VETTE >

GPS top speed of the WETTE VETTE

Notices

GPS top speed of the WETTE VETTE

Old 04-29-2002, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS top speed of the WETTE VETTE

I beat the rain here on Saturday morning and took the boat out for the first time this season. The Nordskog GPS speedo I installed this winter worked flawlessly and is pretty cool. The boat also ran great. The GPS reported 97.8 mph at 6300 rpm!!!
This is 2 mph better than the best radar speed I have seen. The only engine change I made had to do with the oil level in the pan. I have had a chronic rear main seal leak that drove me crazy the past two years. I have a Dooley 10 qt pan and somehow I screwed up when marking my dipstick and I was running with 11.5 qts. I pulled the pan this winter with it still full of oil and it was pretty obvious there was to much oil. Dooley told me .300 per quart, and I found it is actually .345" per quart. I am now running 8.5 qts. and there is no more leak. Basically I lowered the oil by 1" in the pan!! The oil temp used to come up to 230 on hard runs. This Saturday the oil never got to 200. I think that pretty much tells the story. Less windage and less oil hitting the piston bottoms which means less oil temp. Perhaps this is why the boat gained 2 mph??? What do you guys think?
I will compare the GPS to the Stalker soon.
Old 04-29-2002, 10:39 AM
BucketHead

Damn, your boat is almost as fast as mine? LOL

What boat and engine set up to you have. The only time I have been that fast on a boat was in a friends 42 Fountain with staggered 1100 HP motors. That is smokin.

Old 04-29-2002, 07:46 PM
Registered

The boat is a 1990 210 Sport with a built naturally aspirated 496" Chevy. Not to shabby for a 12 year old boat!!!
Old 04-30-2002, 01:44 PM
MIKE S

Talking

Glad to hear about the speed you got this year.
I have rode in this boat many times and his speeds are for real.
Looking forward my Velocity 220 having a little more speed so I can run you down on Pine Lake.

Old 04-30-2002, 02:12 PM
Registered

Mike,

You better double your 330's output. You'll need every bit of it if you want to catch the WETTE VETTE.
Old 05-05-2002, 09:11 PM
DJG
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wette Vette How does the boat handle in the upper mph range do you get allot of chine walking or anything? I have a 24' sport and when I get into the 70's the nose feels like it drops and starts to chine walk allitle. Might be the shorty drive on the boat so this year I'm going to try the stock one.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:16 AM
Registered

The boat doesn't do very well in rough water, but as far as chine walking it does pretty well. If you are losing your bow lift that could be the problem. I did get into some chine walking before I installed hydraulic steering. It gives you the ability to drive through it. If you just sit there and expect to go straight, you will eventually start chine walking and if you don't correct it gets worse and worse. Very small corrections seem to eliminate it from starting. Different props also affect chine walking. What props have you tried?
Old 05-06-2002, 06:20 PM
DJG
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a bravo1 4 blader 26" pitch and it's way to small puts the motor on the rev. limiter. I have a latham full hydraulic steering on the boat. I think it might be the shorty drive because I have to trim it out allot like a 4-5 foot rooster tail just to get the bow to come up. I loose allot in slippage I think when it's that trimed. I'm going to try the lower drive maybe it will keep the bow up. I do correct it but can't drive through it when I stop correcting it it comes back immediatly i think it's the bow settling down on me thats the problem. I don't know. just put the motor back in this weekand I will have to try some fine tuning soon.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:26 PM
Registered

Maybe a 1" drive spacer would do the trick and you will still be 1" shorter that stock.