Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Fastest 36 Outlaw in Arkansas >

Fastest 36 Outlaw in Arkansas

Notices

Fastest 36 Outlaw in Arkansas

Old 04-29-2002, 11:06 AM
BucketHead

Default Fastest 36 Outlaw in Arkansas

Well, I could be wrong, but what the hell. If you have a faster 36 Outlaw anywhere in the state of Arkansas, then stand up and be counted.

2001 - 36 Baja Outlaw, 500 EFI's, Bravo 1, 28 Pitch 4-blade props.

Top GPS speed to date: 77.6 MPH ( 1-person, very low fuel)

Old 04-29-2002, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

BucketHead,

Not in Arkansas so I know this won't count, but my best to date in our 1999 36 Outlaw with HP 500 carbed engines is 77.4 MPH. You got me by 2 tenths DAMNIT. Our conditions were at some point during a poker run, two people on board, started run full (or real close to full) on fuel, never got below about 3/8 tank at the end of the run. Was more than likely full of water as well as this is how it normally stays. Also have full cabin ie. TV, VCR, Micro Wave, sink, reverse cycle AC,etc. I will say that during points in the run the water was very good for our 36 Outlaw. You should know what I mean. This 77.4 is several ticks above the normal average we see under normal conditions and flat water.

I know that the HP 500 EFI's are a little stronger than the carbed versions but at what RPM can you/are you able to turn your 28 Bravo 1's? Are they labbed. I am running 25 Mirage + labbed by Merc at 5200+ - and wanting to go to 4 blade Bravo 1's but don't see any way I will turn them in the recommended RPM range thus my above question to you. Are you running extension boxes or anything else that you did not mention in the first post? Are you turnning your props in or out?

Any info will maybe help with my choices and decisions.

Thanks and be safe!
Mark
Old 04-30-2002, 05:36 AM
Senior Member # 68
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn,you guys are both smoking my 36!!!!I've got a 99 with 500EFI's and extension boxes and very little in extras in the cabin.So far the best top end has been 72.4 on gps.What gear ratio are you running? I've got 1.36s and turning 23p Mirage+s against the rev limiter at 5250rpm.Just bought some 26p Barvo1s to try if this Damn weather ever warms up. Did either of you have the bottom blueprinted or any transom work done?
Steve
Old 04-30-2002, 11:29 AM
Registered

Steve,

Yes I had the bottom blueprinted at the factory as it was being built. By Baja's recommendation they, or it appears, only did the last foot or so of the bottom and squared the bottom - transom angle.

I am familiar with your boat and know its previous owner. I to question why you do not run a little faster. I am running 1.5 gear ratio. I think your 1.36's were due to at one time the boat had "big power" in it and was in the upper 80 MPH range. The 1.36's may be hurting you now. Let me know what your results are with the 26 Bravo 1's.

As I stated the 77.4 was an all time best in real good water. Our boat will usually run in the 72 -74 range just about anytime. The 77.4 just happens to be the best recorded at some point during the day. Don't even know when. All these reported speeds are GPS even though our Gaffrig is very accurate.

Hope this helps,

Mark
Old 04-30-2002, 11:45 AM
BucketHead

Hey guys,

My boat does have extension boxes, but is pretty much stock, with 1.5:1 drives. It came from the factory with the 28 pitch props and turns around 4900 to 5000 on the tachs.

This was a cool day with a very nice wind chop and I was running with the wind to my back. The boat has all the goodies in the cabin, but I was not carring any water or for that matter, anything but me and a life vest, and about 1/4 load of fuel.

Normally I am cruising in the mid fifties and see low seventies on the GPS. Just wanted to have the perfect fast run to brag about, and I quess I got it.

It is not the fastest boat, but the ride cannot be beat. It is one sweet boat for ride, handling and room.

Old 04-30-2002, 12:44 PM
Senior Member # 68
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark
Sounds like you may know a little bit more of my boats history than I do.When I bought it from Bobby Murray,he told me that it had came from the factory with 7.4s in it and that he then had the 500 EFIs installed.Not sure if it ever had any other power or not.It's possible I could of been misled,but Bobby really seemed like a straight up guy.
What did he end up buying? When I talked to him he said he was thinking about buying a cat.
I'll post the results with the 26s as soon as I get to try them.
Steve
Old 04-30-2002, 04:41 PM
Registered

Steve,

I am not real sure on exactly what the boat origionally had in it when he got it but I do know that it was small power, less than HP 500's. At one time he had 540CI approx. 650HP engines in it and it ran in the upper 80's if I remember correctly. He installed the HP 500 EFI's and traded it shortly thereafter. Yes he did get a cat. It was about a 26' Profile with a Merc. 600 SC.
He ran this boat about a year. Last fall when I saw him last he was in a 35 Fountain that had at least had extension boxes put on it by it's prior owner. The way the boat sounded I suspect that the reported HP 500's may not have been completely stock. Sounded a little more than stock and I had heard that in was running in the 90 + range but not real sure other than it was / is fast. Knowing Bobby it is hard to tell what he will be in this year.

Yes post the results of your 26 Bravo's. I am interested.

Be Safe,
Mark
Old 04-30-2002, 04:47 PM
Registered

Steve,

You are also correct about Bobby being "a straight up guy" or at least from any knowledge or dealings that I have had with him. I do not think that he would intentionally mislead you.

Mark