Extention Boxes on a Baja 36 Outlaw >

Extention Boxes on a Baja 36 Outlaw

Notices

Extention Boxes on a Baja 36 Outlaw

Old 06-23-2010, 02:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extention Boxes on a Baja 36 Outlaw

Cheers XT, thanks for your help so far, if you could pm the price of the front vee cushions and cockpit cover.

Also a bit of advice... i have a pair of 502 mpi gen 6s to go in the baja, they have had a ground up rebuld inc, fully balance, bored out '40 with had everything done the machine shop internally, also new wisco pistons, a wilder cam edlebrook marine heads, fuel regulators and new roller rock gear too. with these engines i was wondering if it maybe worth running with imco extention boxes and bravo with imco 2" shorties which i have from my old boat, any thoughts!? the boat coming over has the standard drives with it too
Old 07-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Registered

Any advice would be great if anyone has tried it
Old 07-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

they seem to help running in the rough water the most,,,with a five blade prop ,,it stays hooked up in the water ,,,that's my experience with them
Old 07-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Registered

thanks twin spins... is that with imco shorties too?
Old 07-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Registered

any advice welcome
Old 07-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

do one thing at a time,,,get some base numbers after you change something,,,if you put boxes on,,,run it with the drives you have,,,so you can see what is working for you
Old 07-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
do one thing at a time,,,get some base numbers after you change something,,,if you put boxes on,,,run it with the drives you have,,,so you can see what is working for you
+1 Make one change at a time. You will thank us later.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:15 AM
Registered

Thanks for the advice, will run with stardard drives without extention boxes to start with.
I was hoping someone may have tried the set up and be able to say it does/ doesn t work
Old 07-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience and that of Crayola Crazy you will NOT have enough horsepower to make a 2 inch shorter drive work.

I reworked my 500 EFI's to 575 HP and tried 2 inch IMCO shorties and it was a bear to get on plane even with 5 blade 28 pitch P5X Hydromotives and I lost top end. You will need to be in the 750HP and up (more up is better) range before they will help you any.

I have spoke to a lot of guys at Baja about extension boxes on the 36 and for the most part they did not improve performance. However with that said they used them a lot with stock drives back in the late 90's with the lower "X" dimension.

Your best return on your performance dollar is spent on the engines in HP and torque. Then expect to follow up real soon with more $$$ for improved outdrives because the big heavy 36 with sweet HP will EAT your stock XR drives for desert.

Just speaking from experience. Your results may differ. Do not try this at home "I am a professional".

Good Luck

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 07-14-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Registered

Thanks Dock for the reply, now i know not to go down that route and save my time and dollar!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.