Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Still Kickin'-- checkin' in with results >

Still Kickin'-- checkin' in with results

Notices

Still Kickin'-- checkin' in with results

Old 05-17-2002, 03:43 PM
Allan4

Default Still Kickin'-- checkin' in with results

Well, if I had not thought after I built the motor and ran it on the dyno that some people are full of s***, now I now I really do, especially the guy at the Baja factory who told me they ran mid to upper 70's in a 97 24 OUtlaw with a HP500(470horse). He must have been coming off a heroin bender, because he was off by about 10 mph, just like alot of people claiming big numbers.

Now that that is out of the way...hahhaha.....Final numbers, 98 24 OUtlaw, 509ci making 520 HP and 575 ft/lbs/tq. Boat jumped to 69 with a MP 23 3 blade, but walked around like a drunk hooker on 3 for 1 night. Threw a few different props on and the fastest and best handling is a Rev 4 23. 72 GPS 5150 RPM and really stable. Walks a little bit up top, but realy feels pretty good. Amazing what another 15 mph will do to the feel of a boat!! It was 3 mph slower and spun about 5600 rpm with a 22 bravo1 4blade. It's a big tq motor and I guess it likes to grunt. I may get the prop labbed and try to get a few more revs out of it, and maybe a few more mph, becasue at 5200 rpm it still makes something like 540ft/lbs/tq, so I'd like to try and use that up if possible, maybe up to 5300 or max 5400, and put a 56 or 5700 chip in the MSD box (may only come in even numbers, not sure about that). Now I just need to make 'er live long.....

I'll tell you one thing though, that f-er is a rocket ship in the mid range, really quick.........looks like I will be surprising some folks on the mighty Ohio river this year....HeHeHe....looking forward to seeing how fast all the "80 mph boats" really are. My bet is I torch a few of them.....frickin' liars.

Just checking in fellas, haven't been around much but hopefully thigns will arrainge themselves a little better so I can jump in a bit more. Take 'er sloooowww. A4

Old 05-17-2002, 03:47 PM
merlin540

i tried to tell you but you just wouldnt listen BLOWER BLOWER BLOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS NEVER FAST ENOUGH IS IT???????????????/

Old 05-17-2002, 04:37 PM
Allan4

Well, put it this way....next time I'll save myself about 4K and put a blower on it. I'm stubborn I guess........ Oh yeah, I could pop some 8.75 pistons in this motor and slap some forced air on top and have a perty nice setupHAHAHHAAHA. Actually, sounds like a pretty good idea....for next year......maybe.....or the new boat....whenever that is......

Old 05-17-2002, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it is running pretty good. There are a few people still using old pitot speedos and they think they are really moving. I know I was pretty depressed the first time a buddy radared me. I just put a Nordskog GPS speedo in and it is sweet. I see what Merlin is doing, he wants to keep his outdrive repair service growing so he is pushing blowers. Hey Merlin my drive shifts great since you put the new clutch in.
Old 05-18-2002, 09:39 AM
250 sport

Your speed sounds about right with the hp #s. A lot of those 80 mph boat speeds you hear about are while on the trailer.

Old 05-18-2002, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good for you Allan!
Glad to hear the motor project went well and you posted some good numbers. Nice to see you back. Happy Boating!
Old 05-18-2002, 04:00 PM
Allan4

WetteVette, HAHAHA, about two minutes into the conversation with merlin about how the new motor is spinning, he says "looks like you boys oughtta be breakin' some drives this year HAAAAHAAAWUHAAAA..." so, yup, he is using subliminal and reverse pyschology type marketing on us. Just another attempt of mine to keep the economy rolling Even if the speedos are off, some guys still claim horses*** numbers, just like 250sport said, on the trailer. One thing is for sure, my 72mph will answer alot of questions about some of these guys running around claiming 80, that's for sure. If ya can't be the fastest, may as well spoil everyone else's day

Hey Daze, yeah, it's running pretty good. Still need to finish up some odds and ends, but all in all I'm pretty pleased. If nothing else, it sounds sweet! I let one of my buddies drive it and give me a blow by while I sat on 29 Fever's boat and at that moment right there, the whole thing became worth the hassle and $$!!!!

SeeeeYaaaaa hommies......A4

Old 05-20-2002, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHATCHATALKINBOUT Allan.. LOL

MY 232 hits 58-60 on gps with 300 hp carbed. I was looking to get into the 450hp range and hopefully low 70 to mid 70's... Hmmmm,,,, I'm not so sure now,, 70 seems more do-able..
Old 05-23-2002, 07:40 PM
Allan4

Yeah, think conservative on your speed numbers. I know the 24 Outlaw hull design is old and slow, but you still may have problems with that 70 #. Ask around. Good luck.

Old 05-23-2002, 11:45 PM
merlin540

glad to help wet vette. hey allan i have to support this habit somehow. i have a guy from the board coming from chicago tomorrow for the merlin touch on his drive. so i guess the word is out. i turn your bravo around quick and treat you fair e/mail or call 513-477-2780 if you need service

Quick Reply: Still Kickin'-- checkin' in with results

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.