Hammer vs. Scarab >

Hammer vs. Scarab

Notices

Hammer vs. Scarab

Old 06-14-2002, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brad,

The new boat is great. Its really a big step up for us. We have sacrificed room on board for speed and good looks once again but its worth it. The build quality on the Fountain is so much greater than the Scarab. The new boat still has a lot more room in the cockpit and cabin than the Scarab. It takes the waves and wakes better. Still getting used to driving while standing and having the throttle on the left. Shes a bone stocker that had 32 hours on it when we go it. With the 502MPI and a 24" Hydro it will run right at 69mph with a couple of people in the boat. I still miss the thrill of 500hp in a 22' boat. Thinking about building the 502MPI into a 500efi clone for now then Whipple charging it later.

What was the verdict on your Bravo? A cronic case of 860hp Ill bet.

Ron
Old 06-17-2002, 09:16 AM
Brad Perry

Default I haven't had a chance to try it yet,

I'm in the process (good word for it) of putting on a larger blower and intercooler and new carbs. Don't ask me why. (hope my wife doesn't read this!) I have no good reason except that I love the looks of blower shop stuff and demon carbs.

Jim over at regency marine really helped me out by somehow getting a new gear set with clutch for $100!! He said he thought that the gears that I just had put in were not clocked correctly and that was what was causing my hard shifts. With the crappy idle surge I had, a few miss shifts at idle (200-1600rpm) scarred the clutch. The gears were fine, but the clutch was toast after only 2 hours time. This time, I don't think it was the power that did it, just installation negligence.

Good news on the new boat. Dallasboats.com here just got one of those.......loves it. Sounds like you got a like-new boat.

Old 06-17-2002, 10:36 AM
badboats30

I liked the Baja better. I may be wrong but the 22 Scarab I looked at just wasn't built as good. I was a Scarab fan until a few years ago when they started using decals instead of gelcoat graphics and cheaper materials in the interior. I think they may be back on track now, but I haven't looked at any recently